Hundreds Flock to Square For Winterfest Carnival

By Mei LIN Kwan-gett

A 50-foot ice slide at Holyoke Center was the focus of local shoppers' attention last Saturday at Winterfest '86, a weekend festival that brought hundreds of people to Harvard Square.

Aside from the massive frozen sculpture by world-renowned ice artist Giuseppe Dietrich, Winterfest participants were treated to an informal "SnowBall" at the Sheraton Commander Hotel, children's snow sculptures in Winthrop Park, free cider and cookies at Charles Square, and mid-winter sales by Harvard Square merchants.

"Saturday was a wonderful day," said Sally. Alcorn, executive director of the Harvard Square Business Association, sponsors of Winterfest '86. "Almost 1000 people of all ages enjoyed sliding down the massive slide."

SnowBalls

Local artist Joseph E. Caparco taught children to make sculptures out of snow and ice in Winthrop Park on Saturday morning. Using ice remnants, sawdust, and food dyes, Cambridge children created a bird, an airplane, a clown's face, and a big foot.

Attended by about 50 people, the dance at the Sheraton Commander Hotel attracted high school students and grandparents alike. Working with a collection of 6000 records including music from the '30s to the '80s, a disc-jockey played requests all night.

The flurry of snow late Saturday night brought nearly 100 people to Holyoke Center where they danced to street musician Luke Hunsberger's singing. "It was great. We had two Snow Balls--one inside and one outside," Alcorn said.

Melting Monolith

Because of rain and warm temperatures on Sunday, members of the business association decided to dismantle the melting snow sculpture with the help of 25 Cambridge children. "It looked like a bunch of kids taking down the Great Wall," Alcorn said yesterday.

Although the Cambridge Public Works Commission flooded Cambridge Common five times, the baseball field never developed into a true skating rink. "A few people tried to skate on it, but it didn't get rave reviews," Alcorn said.

"We would really like to do a Winterfest again because it really benefits the community. But we need more participation from the community," said Marni J. Gauthier, administrative assistant for the Winterfest.