Michigan Refuses to Honor Mandela

By Alan Z. Segal

The University of Michigan, which has divested of all South Africa-related stock, last week refused to grant an honorary degree to imprisoned South African activist Nelson Mandela because university by-laws stipulate that recipients must accept the award in person, The Michigan Daily reported.

The Free South Africa Coordinating Committee (FSAC), which spearheaded the drive to award Mandela a degree, has vowed to continue their efforts. "We intend to come back again in the fall, more resolute than ever to pressure the University into granting Mandela an honorary degree," the group told the Daily.

FSAC will hold an alternate graduation ceremony at 10 a.m. on May 3, prior to the actual commencement exercises, in order to give Mandela their own unofficial honorary degree.

Students held a sit-in at the regents' offices on April 18 after the Regents Board of Overseers nixed the proposal for the Mandela honor.

On April 21, a specially appointed committee of the Board refused to change the restriction on in-absentia awards. University President Harold T. Shapiro, who is an ex-officio member of the board, said in a 90-minute meeting with 23 students last week that he opposes changing the by-law. He gave no explanation for his opposition.

"The reason for the by-law is just to get famous people to come to ceremonies," said Robert A. Earle, city editor for the Daily.

"That might just be a bit difficult in Mandela's case," Earle said. "It's more important to make a statement than to get publicity," he said.

The university divested from South Africa-related stock over a year ago. Earle said that the Board of Regents was very receptive to that movement.

The Regents Board also recently rejected honoring Raoul Wallenberg because he could not attend commencement. Wallenberg smuggled Hungarian Jews to safety during World War II and is believed by many to be dead.