Netmen Go To Nationals

By Steve Li

The Harvard men's tennis team faces Stanford tomorrow morning in the first round of the NCAA championships in Athens, Geo.

The Crimson will be looking to gain its first NCAA tournament victory in recent memory. Harvard has qualified qualified for the NCAAs five times in the past six years but has never gotten beyond the first round.

The Cardinals are a formidable opponent. Currently ranked fifth in the nation, Stanford defeated the Crimson in February without the services of its second best player, Jim Grabb.

Nevertheless, the Crimson is not intimidated.

"No one on the team is afraid of anybody," Harvard Co-Captain Peter Palandjian said. "This year we're excited. Last year, we would have dreaded this match."

Stanford is a very deep team. The tentative singles match-ups make the Crimson a decided underdog.

At first singles, Harvard's Larry Scott will face Dan Goldie, who is one of the top-100 singles players in the world. Scott, however, proved he could compete on Goldie's level when he pulled off a stunning straight-set upset of Goldie in the first Harvard-Stanford match.

At second singles, the Crimson's Bill Stanley will take-on Grabb, also highly-ranked on the world computer. Grabb made it all the way to the fourth round of the U.S. Open last fall before losing in a nationally televised match.