Women Sailors Earn a Berth in Nationals

Harvard Among Eastern Contingent for Fourth Time in Five Years

By Gregory R. Schwartz

For the fourth time in the last five years, the Harvard women's varsity sailing team will compete in the National Championships at the end of May, having qualified last weekend in the New England District finals.

Competing at Brown against 12 other teams, the "Radcliffe Salts" placed fifth overall after 26 races. Harvard boats finished fifth in both the "A" and "B" divisions, after racing in 13 heats each.

Battling heavy winds and high seas, the sailors endured the 30-minute races, sailing two at a time. Actually, the wind and choppy waters worked to the Salts' advantage.

"Women's technique usually deteriorates quite a bit in heavy wind because of their size and strength, but we feel better in heavy air," said "A" division skipper Jane Fogg.

"We do best when it's windy," agreed freshman Betsey Robinson, skipper in the "B" division. "I hope it will howl in the nationals," Fogg added.

Though the chop "does take some getting used to," Fogg noted that New England sailors will "have a tremendous advantage" in the nationals--held at Brown. "Most teams sail on lakes and rivers, and that makes a big difference," she said. "If you're not used to it, it shows."

Each year, 16 teams compete in Nationals, qualifying in district championships. The number of teams sent from each district depends on how many compete in each region's finals.

Although it was first thought that only four New England teams would qualify this year, poor turnout at the Pacific Coast District finals--only five schools participated--permitted New England to send five.

As a result, Harvard will join the New England delegation of Brown, Tufts, Yale, and Dartmouth--the first four finishers at the regatta.

Though the last to qualify, Harvard stands a good chance of doing well in the Nationals. "The last qualifiers in each of the last two years have gone on to win the National championships," Harvard sailing Coach Mike Horn said.

The women qualified despite the loss of two top skippers to injury. Freshman phenom Julia Trotman, who went to the World Singlehanded Championships, broke her leg, and Nan Leonard, the senior skipper, recently underwent surgery.

"Instead of treating the spring like the second half of the season, we had to start again as though it was the beginning of the year," Horn said.

Filling the void left by the injuries, Robinson--who sailed freshman regattas in the fall--"has really been doing well on the varsity level," Fogg said.

Since the Nationals are not for another month, the sailors hope their injured teammates can be ready to help in the championships. "We would like to have more than two skippers down there in case anything happens," said Fogg.

In the 20-year history of the Nationals, Harvard women's sailors have qualified 13 times, winning four championships. They last took the national title in 1972.