Crimson Shuts Down Punchless Wildcats, 3-0; Women Booters Boost Record to 3-0 on Season

By Vadim Nikitine

The Harvard women's soccer team triumphed again.

For the third consecutive time, and with its third consecutive shutout--this time a 3-0 victory over the previously unbeaten University of New Hampshire--the Crimson came out on top.

"Sluggish," Crimson Coach Bob Scalise said of his team's performance in the scoreless first half, "not too much energy."

During the first period Both teams attacked, both teams defended, but nothing really happened.

And then the second half began.

"We began winning balls, everyone began getting into the game more," Harvard Co-Captain Karen Garibaldi said.

The booters gradually took control of the game, not allowing UNH to mount any kind of offensive. But the Crimson still wasn't able to score until it got a little extra help.

The break came 10:53 into the half, when a centering pass to Garibaldi managed to trickle past UNH netminder Janene Pilden. The ball did not go in--until UNH defender Cindy Pierce tried to clear the ball but accidentally scored instead.

The Crimson continued to pressure the Wildcat defense until it scored again, 13 minutes later. Sophomore Cathy Dawson fed a pass to a streaking Karin Pinezich for the second tally.

And then Harvard's defense took over.

Led by Co-Captain Wendy Zeeben and goalie Tracee Whitley, the Crimson proceeded to shut down UNH. "[The defense] prevented them from getting any shots that a goalie like Tracee Whitley could not save," Scalise said.

Holding a strong 2-0 lead, Scalise continued to shuffle his players in and out. And the freshmen--who had already proven their value in the first two games--continued to amaze.

Yarding fullback Andrea Montalbano played an outstanding game: "She's great on defense, she's quick, and she's smart," Garibaldi said.

The rest of the rookies, notably Shalva Nolen and Laurie, held their own as well. "The most difficult part for the freshmen has been understanding our system," Whitley explained, "and now they are getting the hang of it."

With only four minutes remaining in the game, and the Crimson offense still in full gear, senior Mylene Moreno took a pass from Dawson and slid the ball into the net.

Saturday, the Crimson faces the University of Vermont. "I was proud of the way the team came togetherin the second half--we wore them down," Scalise added. "But Vermont is good so we will have to be more energetic."

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard had 21 shots on goal...Moreno's goal was her first as a Harvard player...Tracee Whitley has a school record 20 shutouts in three years in goal.