College Fest Offers Frills And Thrills for Students

BOSTON--Thousands of college students from the Boston area sampled natural sodas, nibbled flavored popcorn and played board games this weekend at a College Fest that two Massachusetts women created for companies trying to reach an elusive market.

"With 300,000 college kids in the Boston area, it only makes sense," said Betty Fulton of Boston, co-organizer of the second annual event.

Her partner, Carola Cadley, said the idea stemmed from her former job as a saleswoman for the Boston Phoenix, a weekly newprint tabloid aimed at young adults, and Fulton's work for a rock concert promoter.

While companies can advertise in college newspapers or rock radio stations, they have a harder time finding ways to reach college students directly for one-on-one contact, Cadley said.

"Nothing offers the same kind of direct interactions where you're actually meeting kids and talking to them," Fulton said.

About 65 companies, ranging from new, little ones trying to make a name to giant marketers such as Honda, had nearly 100 booths at the indoor festival.

"This is a major market in Boston. It's a good market and the college market is good for this," said Ken Meyers, holding a bag of natural cheese-flavored popcorn made by Smartfoods Inc., which he began in Marlboro in 1984.

A steady stream of students scooped up tastes of Meyers' popcorn from a large bag. They also bought 50-cent bags to take back to their dormitory rooms at a special discount price of a dime. Rock music blared from speakers as a local radio station, WBCN, broadcast live.