Alumni Heading Home As 350th Winds Down

By Peter C. Krause

Echoing the words of Harvard President James Bryant Conant '13 in 1936, President Derek C. Bok yesterday adjourned an anniversary celebration with a pledge that the gathering will reconvene--in 2036.

After a four-day parade of speakers, scholars and showmen, tens of thousands of men and women of Harvard are leaving Cambridge, dispersing to points around the globe.

The majority are expected to have left Fair Harvard by tonight.

The 20 tents in the Yard and the 50 banners in Tercentenary Theater are coming down. Prince Charles departed on Thursday. Secretary of State George P. Schultz and Secretary of Defense Caspar W. Weinberger '38 jetted back to Washington on Friday.

Some remnants of the party will remain longer. The 40,000 chairs that fill the Yard and Tercentenary Theater won't be hauled away until Monday, and the 3500 chrysanthemums that adorned the steps of Widener will stick around, planted at various spots around the University.

Last night's blazing fireworks seemed to many to be the perfect conclusion to the five-day spread of activities, but the 350th celebration actually ends today with a sermon delivered by Peter J. Gomes, Plummer Professor of Christian Morals, in Memorial Church at 11:00 a.m.

Life here will then enter a brief lull until 1602 freshmen descend on Harvard Yard September 13.

"I'm really looking forward to meeting the freshmen," said Crimson Key member Megan Jenks '89, a staff member at the 350th, who has been busy dealing with students of generations past for the past few days.

"It's been awfully good," said Barry Bingham '28. Bingham, the retired publisher of the Louisville Courier Journal, came from Kentucky with his wife Mary C. Bingham '28 for the bash.

"Although I was skeptical before the event," said Lewis M. Schneider '56, of Lexington, "I was very pleasantly surprised and quite impressed overall. I thought the speeches were excellent and the symposia were super."