College Overtime: Why Kiss Your Sister?

Al-ibi

By Alvar J. Mattei

The place: The Orange Bowl, Jan. 1, 1984.

Tom Osborne's number-one ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers have just pulled to within a point of the Miami Hurricanes, 31-30, with less than a minute remaining. A tie would preserve the Huskers' unbeaten record for the season. Number-two ranked Auburn, however, might get enough votes to steal away the national title due to its unbeaten record.

Knowing there are no overtimes under Orange Bowl rules, Osborne opts for the two-point conversion and fails. As a result, Miami hurdles from fourth place to a national championship.

After this game there was much discussion throughout the NCAA about the possible use of overtime in Division 1-A games.

That talk fizzled out, but after a thrilling 52-51 quadruple-overtime victory by Richmond over UMass two weeks ago, the concept of college football overtime in major games has resurfaced.

A college football overtime is much like an extra-inning baseball game. The offensive team has the ball 25 yards from the endzone, and has the opportunity to score any way they can. After a score or a turnover, the other offense comes in and must match or beat the score of its opponent. There is no time limit, save for the 25-second clock. Overtime means one thing: a team must score in order to survive.

As of now, only Division 1-AA, 2, and 3 playoff games, and regular-season Yankee Conference games follow this format.

Ivy OT?

But maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea if the Ivy League adopted the non-sudden-death overtime. After all, the Ivy League has been the conference of innovation since football began giving football the 11-man team, the word "gridiron," and the emphasis on sportsmanship and academics over semi-professionalism.

So why use overtime, a staple among professional teams? Because the fans want to see a definite end to the game. It allows an opportunity to the overachiever who gives a great performance for the team in the most clutch situation of all. An overtime would give the Ivy League players a chance to show some of the all-important character which is some-what lacking these days in college ball.

Consider this scene: Harvard Stadium, The Game, 1968.

Harvard capped an amazing comeback to tie Yale, 29-29. They scored 16 points in 29 seconds; the final eight with no time left.

So, reconsider the 1984 Orange Bowl. But suppose there was no second-ranked Auburn. Then the only teams remaining in the national championship framework are Miami and Nebraska. And still no overtime.

Now Osborne can go for the almost-guaranteed extra point: Nebraska wins the national championship because Miami failed to knock off the Number One team. A tie is as good as a win; but it's not the way you want to win a national championship--or even the Ivy League title.