Allison: No Brain Drain At KSG After Election

By Jennifer Griffin

In a town meeting sponsored by the Kennedy School Student Government (KSSG) yesterday afternoon, Dean Graham T. Allison '62 answered student questions, ranging from hiring women and minority faculty to the impact of the presidential election on the school.

Allison told the approximately 30 students assembled in Starr Auditorium that no matter who is elected president, the school would not suffer from brain drain. He said most professors feel "a professional responsibility to the school," and that only a few professors would be leaving for Washington in any event.

In response to a question about the school's recruitment of women and minority professors, Allison said, "The number of minority and women faculty members is appallingly inadequate. We make an effort to find the most qualified, best role models. We're not looking for diversity for its own sake."

"The problem is that the pool of people is a small pool," Allison said. "Last year I said that I was going to make at least one appointment of either a female or a minority to the faculty. We ended up hiring Shirley Williams." The former British politician was tenured this fall.

The major topic of debate at the meeting was what some students termed animosity with those enrolled in the Mid-Career Public Administration Degree Program.

Students said the division results from the summer school program for international and mid-career students in which the other Kennedy school students do not participate.

By the time the fall semester starts, some students said, those in the midcareer program already know each other and cliques had already formed, making it hard to join their study groups.

Allison blamed himself and other administrators for not having been "creative enough" in dealing with the problem.

"On both sides there's a shyness which is misinterpreted as unfriendliness," Allison said. He suggested both sides take more initiative in solving the problem.

Students suggested that the school pick up on the mentor system used at the end of the summer program. A pre-career student will be assigned to a mid-career student with a similar interest.

Another concern raised by students was the decrease in available funds for the KSSG to give to student organizations and publications. Of the $54.00 collected from each student for this purpose, 60 percent goes to the KSSG, while 40 percent goes to funding graduation events. One student questioned this allotment of funds.