Playing in Front of the Home Crowd

Captain C.J. Young

By Christine Dimino

On a team of champions, C.J. Young, captain of the Harvard hockey team, may be the most respected champion. On a team of hard workers, Young may be the hardest worker.

As teammate Ted Donato says, "He's just Harvard hockey."

Reporters are constantly told to look for the angles and discover the bad as well as the good. But in trying to uncover a complete picture of Young, a reporter begins to feel like (dare the tabloid be mentioned) a National Enquirer hack who can't find any dirt.

The worst moment of Young's career may have been his first game. He was a freshman, and the team was challenging Yale.

"I was standing at the face-off, almost shaking...Al [former team mate Allen Bourbeau] won the face-off and hit the puck right to my side...I got rid of the puck as fast as I got it," Young recalls.

That's it. That's the worst low-down on Young. And even then, the story somehow fits into a larger framework of Young's career. Since that first game, it seems as though Young has not shirked away from any challenge on or off the ice.

"Whenever there's a tough situation, C.J. Young will be on the ice," Coach Bill Cleary says.

Young is a study in intensity, dedication and character. His teammates tell of how he spends hours in the weight room after practice and how he is usually one of the first players down at the rink.

"You just can see it in his face," Pete Ciavaglia says. "C.J. works harder than any other player."

Descriptions like "unselfish" and "committed" are constantly echoed by Young's teammates. He is a leader who seems perfect for Harvard hockey, perfect for a championship team.

"This year, we have to work twice as hard," goalie Allain Roy says. "C.J. is the right guy for us to follow."

Young is a local hero, a product of Newton and Belmont Hill. He began playing hockey when he was eight, but Young grew up around the game. Two of his uncles played at Boston College, and his father always loved hockey. As Young describes it, hockey was "in the blood."

Young's family introduced him to the game and when it came time to decide on college, Young's closeness with his family became a main factor.

"I wanted to stay local because of my family," Young says. "They are so supportive."

At every home game, someone from Young's family is in the stands or, as in the case of his 10-year-old brother Chris, on the bench. Chris Young became sort of a good luck charm for the team last season and would sit with the team on the bench.

"It's nice to know they're watching and that I can make them happy," Young says.

Last season, Young and his teammates made everyone interested in Harvard hockey ecstatic. In addition to the NCAA championship, Young says the highlight of the season was the Beanpot championship.

"I got a chance to see my peers from high school play," Young says. "It's the bragging rights for Boston and an important part of last season."

When Young talks about last season, his words take on a force. He pinpoints the different apsects that made the team special and constantly come back to one idea: team character.

"There was a certain power about [last season]," Young says. "We knew that when we went out there as a team, we could put out a great effort."

Young looks back on the tight games, such as Harvard's 4-3 win over RPI last season as the "mark of championships."

"That was one of the best things about last season," Young says. "We weren't worried...we were trying to do the best we could."

When Young talks about winning, he doesn't mention anything about talent, except to say that a school "might have the best talent but not the best team."

Young is not only an integral part of Harvard hockey, he may also be its most eloquent spokeperson.

"There's a special thread between all of us," Young says, "a balance between personalities from the coach on down."

A history major, Young recognizes that hockey and school work have to play an equal role in players' lives. He suggests, in fact, that the combination enhances and contributes to the team's success.

"We're here for two reasons: to do well academically and put together a championship team," Young says. "The depth we have cannot be matched at scholarship schools."

"It seems like the bonds we have as a team go far beyond what we get out of hockey," Young adds.

Young consistently puts the team first; it's apparent in his words and apparent in the impressions he makes on his teammates.

"He definitely follows a team concept," Ciavaglia says. "He's very unselfish."

"C.J. treats freshmen and seniors the same way," Donato says. "He has an ability to get along with everybody. That's what you need in a leader."

Young's future plans include trying out for the Olympic team but right now, Young's focus is on this season. He is not intimidated about taking over as captain after Lane MacDonald, nor is he worried about repeating last season's glories.

"I don't think anyone could fill Lane's shoes," Young says. "I just try to do what I do best--skate and work hard."

Young seems ready for anything. It's a long way from Yale and his first game.