Netwomen Rebound, Storm Past Brown, 6-3

By Michael J. Lartigue

When the Brown women's tennis players woke up yesterday morning, they saw a frightening thing on their schedule: Harvard.

After losing its first Ivy match since 1983 against Yale Friday, the Harvard women's tennis team defeated the Bears, 6-3, yesterday in Providence, R.I. For the record, Brown hasn't beaten Harvard since April 22, 1981.

"I think Harvard's loss to Yale had a big effect on today's match," Brown Coach Norma Taylor said. "They came out and blistered us in doubles."

Harvard (10-11, 3-1 Ivy) can still clinch a share of the Ivy title by winning its last three Ivy matches (Dartmouth, Cornell, Princeton).

Especially with the depth of Harvard's singles matches. The score was even more impressive since sophomore Jamie Henikoff sat out singles to rest her nagging back injury and several players had to move up a spot.

Harvard, which is known for its strong doubles teams, started off the match by winning all three doubles matches. The Crimson entered the singles competition with an insurmountable lead.

At first doubles, Amy DeLone and Jamie Henikoff cruised to a 6-3, 6-2 victory against Jill Dunkel and Teri Esterowitz, while Christina Dragomirescu and Harvard Co-Captain Kathy Mulvehal recorded a 7-5, 6-4 decision over Anna Sloan and Kim Fitzpatrick at second doubles.

In third doubles, Jacki Farrell and Jennifer Minkus continued to play well as a unit, capturing a 6-2, 6-3 triumph.

"We really wanted to win all three doubles," Mulvehal said. "We've realized how important it is to win two if not all three doubles. It was a good, solid win all-around."

Mulvehal, who has never lost an Ivy singles match, captured a 7-5, 6-2 victory against Dunkel.

"After losing to Yale, we really wanted to do a lot better in doubles," deLone said. "It helped establish the tone right away. Our goal is to win our three remaining Ivy matches and hope for an NCAA bid."

Freshman sensation Minkus clinched the match with a 7-5, 6-2, over Michelle Miller. Minkus was Harvard's fifth-straight win of the day.

At second singles, deLone dropped a 6-0, 6-3 decision to Fitzpatrick. After crushing Samatha Shea, 6-0, in the first set, Farrell cruised to a 6-3 victory in the second set to capture the match.

Dragomirescu dropped a tough, 7-5, 6-3 loss to Sloan, the number-one player in the East, while Niki Rival fell in straight sets to Stephanie Heidmann, 6-1, 6-2.

"Everyone played well and won convincingly," Farrell said. "Winning all three doubles takes so much pressure off of us in singles."