Netwomen Battle Tigers for Ivy Crown

Harvard Seeking Seventh Straight Ivy Championship

By Michael J. Lartigue

Tennis star John McEnroe used to say before matches, "Some guy is going to have to play exceptionally well to beat me."

That is exactly what Princeton is going to have to do today at Beren Tennis Center to beat the Harvard women's tennis team. The winner of the Harvard-Princeton match will share the Ivy League championship with Yale.

Harvard (14-11, 5-1 Ivy) is playing its best tennis of the spring. Last weekend, the Crimson defeated Syracuse, 5-0, Cornell, 9-0, and Boston College, 5-3.

"It'll be a showdown," Harvard Coach Ed Krass said. "This is Princeton's strongest team in quite some time. It's exciting for both teams. The winner of the match will share the Ivy title. It's championship day for both teams."

"It's always exciting when the Ivy League title is on the line," Princeton's Martha Leggart said. "Even though we beat Yale and Harvard lost to them, we're not underestimating them."

The Crimson was upset by Yale, 5-4, two weeks ago. Harvard is tied for first in the eastern rankings with William and Mary, while Princeton is fifth behind B.C. and Yale.

This is the first year that the title hasn't been won outright since 1983, when Princeton, Yale and Harvard shared it. The Crimson has been the sole Ivy winner for the last five years.

Once again Princeton is strong at the top. Princeton's first three players are Diana Gardner, Lauren Fortgang and Martha Leggart. Gardner is ranked 87th in the Volvo/ITC poll and Fortgang is currently ranked 68th.

Harvard will respond with junior Christina Dragomirescu, and sophomores Amy deLone and Jamie Henikoff--all three of whom are capable of taking their matches.

The Crimson's depth will come into play from 4-6, where Farrell, Mulvehal and Minkus have been steady as a rock. They have posted a 17-2 singles record since the team's trip to California over spring break.

The Princeton-Harvard tennis rivalry has been dominated by the Crimson the last six years. Harvard hasn't lost to the Tigers since a 5-4 decision in 1982. Last year, the Crimson cruised to a 6-3 victory at Princeton.

"It's big because the Ivy title is on the line and it's the last match of the season," said Fortgang, who is returning from an injury and probable for the match. "It's always a big match because it's Harvard."

Besides being the last regular-season match of the season, it's the last home match for seniors Mulvehal and Farrell.

Harvard's season will be over today unless the Crimson gets an NCAA bid, which isn't expected, but is still a possibility.

William and Mary is expected to represent the East in the NCAA tournament later this month. William and Mary defeated the Crimson, 5-4, in late February.

It'll be the first time in recent memory that a non-Ivy team represented the East.

"We're all playing well," Minkus said. "Since the Yale loss, we've all picked up our game a level. Princeton is going to be a tough match, but I think everyone is ready."

Over the years, Harvard has been known for its strong doubles teams. This year is no different. Harvard's doubles teams have been playing well this spring.

Since its trip to California, Harvard has posted a 15-4 mark in doubles. Only once has the Crimson lost more than one doubles match against another team.

Minkus feels that the Crimson can win at least two of the three doubles, if not all three.

"We're pretty even," Gardner said. "Doubles is going to be the key. Harvard has always been known for their strong doubles teams. But our doubles is better than last year."

"Doubles will be the key," Kay said. "It sets the tone for singles. We're going to work hard to get a sweep."

A sweep that can propel Harvard to its seventh straight Ivy title.