The Aquatic Notebook

Swim Team Honors

By Joseph Kaufman

The Harvard men's swimming team held its annual awards banquet Friday at the Faculty Club, with graduating seniors picking up most of the top prizes.

Co-Captain David Berkoff earned the Brooks and Stowell trophies as the team's most outstanding swimmer and most improved senior. Ken Johnson received the Jorgensen award for the most improved junior on the Crimson squad.

Senior Patrick Healy was named as the winner of the most outstanding diver award. Co-Captain Keith Kaplan rounded out the awards by claiming two prizes, the Wyman trophy (top dual-meet scorer) and the prestigious Ulen award, given to the swimmer who best combines the qualities of leadership and sportsmanship.

Johnson and Michael Anderson were named co-captains-elect of the 1989-90 varsity squad.

Seton Hall basketball coach P. J. Carlesimo had been scheduled as the banquet's guest speaker, but was forced to cancel in order to purse contract negotiations at the University of Kentucky, an offer he declined on Monday.

The Harvard women's swimming team also held its banquet last weekend, with several swimmers receiving honors.

Senior Lisa Pierce came away with two awards, one for most outstanding diver and the other-shared with junior Nina Anderson--for most improved. Pierce qualified for the NCAA Championship meet for the first time ever this season.

Junior Sheila Findley earned the prize for outstanding swimmer, Stacie Duncan received the best freshman award and Tri-Captain Karen Schneider was named unsung hero of the squad.

The other tri-captains, Janice Sweetser and Linda Suhs, split the final award, given to the most outstanding senior swimmer.

Co-Captains-elect for next year's team are juniors Mia Costello and Jenny Meyer.

The Harvard women's water polo team will put its undefeated (17-0) record on the line this weekend when it journeys to Bucknell for the Eastern Championships.

The Crimson is seeded second in the 10-team field and must hold that spot in order to gain a berth to the NCAA Champioship tourney, held May 19-21 in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Harvard opens on Friday with a first-round game against Michigan. The team expects tough competition from Bucknell, MIT, and Queens, in addition to defending champion Slippery Rock, who is again seeded first.

"It's hard to say how were going to do against the tough competition," Crimson Coach Chris Hafferty said.

The 1989 NCAA Men's Swimming and Diving Championships, held March 29-April 1 in Indianapolis, was finally aired by ESPN last weekend, and Berkoff's three swims were featured prominently, including both his American Record performance in the 100 backstroke and the 200 medley relay, in which Berkoff, Jon Manson, Greg Tull and Kaplan placed fifth and earned All-American standing.

Although he was not named outstanding swimmer of the meet, Berkoff was clearly the center of the cable coverage, with most of the focus on his "Berkoff Blastoff" backstroke start and the way he has changed the mechanics of that stroke.

Hard to believe that only two years ago he was viewed as the freak from Harvard, with commentators calling him "the smart, nerdy kid."

Bravo, Dave.