Dartmouth Review Head Quits After New Scandal

Magazine Hit By Anti-Semitism Charges

By Alfred C. Hiatt

The president of the Dartmouth Review resigned yesterday morning following the appearance of an anti-semitic quote from Hitler's Mein Kampf next to the journal's credo on the cover of the issue published last Friday, the eve of the Jewish holiday Yom Kippur.

"I cannot allow the Review to ruin my life any longer, it is tearing my family apart," President C. Tyler-White yesterday told the governing board of Dartmouth's ultra conservative student journal. Tyler White distributed copies of his written statement to the student body.

"Please remove my name from the masthead," he said.

Describing the quote as "awful anti-semitism," Tyler-White dissociated himself from the Review's editor-in-chief Kevin C. Pritchett, whom he held responsible for the publication of the quote.

"It was an ugly, awful, anti-Semitic prank," Pritchett told the Associated Press yesterday. "It caused a lot of hurt feelings. We at the Review are sickened by this."

The controversial quote read: "I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews, I am fighting for the Lord's work."

The statement appeared on the front page as an extension of the Review's usual credo--authored by Theodore Roosevelt. Editors said the statement had "slipped in" without their knowledge.

Tyler-White's resignation met with praise from many angry members of the Dartmouth student community. "I am very pleased [by the resignation,]" said Allen Drexler, co-chair of the Dartmouth Student Assembly. "This is evidence that the organization is crumbling from within."

"I predict that the think-tank foundations and wealthy conservative alumni upon seeing this will remove funding," Drexler said of the organizations that support the Review.

Drexler said there was "almost unanimous sentiment" among Dartmouth students against the Review and the "immoral ad-hominem attack, designed to incite violent feeling"that the quote represented.

The Darmouth Review, which is notaffiliated with the college, has had a stormyhistory, and has attracted criticism for itscampaign against Black music professor WilliamCole, and its attacks on anti-apartheiddemonstrators, gay student clubs and women'sgroups.

"The Dartmouth Review has a history oflaying low and then launching a sensationalattack," Drexler said.

Pritchett told the Associated Press thatsomeone outside the publication may have beenresponsible for the quote's appearence.

"Our office is not secure," Pritchett said."It's Hanover, New Hampshire, not New York City."

Drexler said the Review was trying tofind a scapegoat for the incident. "I hope it'snot the case that an editor placed the quote, butthe institution is responsible."

Over 2000 students have signed a petitioncriticizing the Review, and a rally withthe theme of "Dartmouth United Against Hate," isscheduled for October 12