New Recycling Effort Planned

PBHA Hopes to Set Up Comprehensive Program

By Katherine C. Mayer

Members of the Phillips Brooks House Association's Environmental Action Committee (EAC) are meeting this week to complete plans for what could be the College's largest recycling effort to date.

Starting October 5, the group plans to collect newspaper, white paper, cans, bottles and glass three times a week in central recycling rooms in all houses and academic facilities.

"We hope to have a comprehensive program within a couple of weeks and be picking up about two tons of materials," said Jon S. Richardson '91, co-chair of EAC.

Richardson said that the Facilities and Maintenance Department contributed by providing a van, containers, and contracts with recycling companies for the EAC to use. The collection, however, will be handeled by dorm representatives, he said.

"We have taken applications for dorm captains," said Richardson. "The pick-ups will be organized through these people and a network of superintendants and supervisors."

Leaders of the nine-year-old environmental group attributed the expansion of their recycling efforts to growing interest in the environment. Brain R. Trelstad '91, co-chair of EAC, said yesterday that the organization's membership has tripled in the last year.

Richardson said that he plans to integrate the EAC's campus recycling effort with various independent dormwide efforts that have sprouted up this year.

"There is a lot of awareness among students" said Stephanie C. Mathews, a proctor in Stoughton South, which has already begun its own independent recycling program. "Everyone has been really responsive to all types of recycling and environmental programs. Our dorm has started a program of taking glasses to the Union instead of using the paper cups."

Like Stoughton, Matthews North has also initiated a recycling program and hopes to contribute the EAC's effort.

"Everyone has really jumped into it," said John R. Holena '94, who started the Matthews North initiative. "I definitely want to help the EAC with their recycling programs."

While the committee's leaders admit their newest initiative will not solve all the world's problems, they say they hope it will help the College do its part.

"There are so many glaring problems in the organization of our society that are damaging to the environment," Trelstad said. "We're just trying to lesson Harvard's impact."