Faculty, Students Honor Senior for Apker Award

By Sara M. Mulholland

More than 40 faculty members and students gathered in the Jefferson Physical Laboratory yesterday to honor a Winthrop House senior who won a prestigious physics award.

Dean J. Lee '92 will receive the 1991 Apker Award from the American Physical Society at a ceremony this spring in Washington, D.C.

The award is presented annually, after a national competition, to an undergraduate for outstanding work in physics.

Lee will be presented a $3000 check and a plaque honoring his accomplishments.

"It's been a lot of fun," Lee said yesterday. "I don't consider my research really special, but I had a good time doing it."

Lee's research, on "charmed meson decays," was supported in part by the Rowland Fund, a grant program in the physics department. Howard Georgi '68, chair of the Physics Department, was his advisor.

In a brief speech at the reception, Georgi praised Lee as "an outstanding student and a great citizen of the department."

"In honoring Dean Lee for his receipt of the Apker Award of the American Physical Society, the Physics Department is honoring all of you who have chosen to join us in the study of what we think is the most interesting of all fields," Georgi said.

The official award ceremony will be held this spring in Washington D.C. at a joint meeting of The American Physical Society and the American Association of Physics Teachers.