Search Begins for Dean of First-Year Students

By Joshua W.shenk

A committee of faculty and administrators have formally begun the search for a new dean of freshmen, according to its chair, Dean of the College L.Fred Jewett '57.

Jewett said in an interview this week that the committee will be accepting applications until January I and will be "reviewing them as they come in."

The committee, which Jewett said aims to make a decision by early February, will conduct a broad search outside of the University, he said.

"Of course that doesn't mean that there aren't good inside candidates," Jewett said.

Strong recommendations, an advanced degree and substantial leadership experience are all qualities that the committee will be looking for in a dean, Jewett said.

Another member of the committee, Core Program Director Susan W.Lewis, said that she would have to see applications before saying which factors will be used to judge.

"I think it really depends on what the candidates are like," Lewis said. "I think it's very hard to speculate without seeing the pool."

The dean search has been imminent since last January when former dean Henry C.Moses announced he would be stepping down to take the helm of a private school in New York City.

Last spring, Jewett appointed former proctor and then-Assistant Dean of Freshmen Virginia L.Mackay Smith '78 as acting dean for this academic year.

In addition to Jewett and Lewis, the committee includes: Dean of Students Archie C. Epps; University Attorney Micheal W. Roberts; Pierce Professor of Psychology Richard J. Herrnstein; Assistant Dean of the College David Pilbeam; Rosa Shinagel, assistant dean of Radcliffe, and the Rev. Peter J. Gomes, who is Plummer professor of Christian morals.

Also on the committee are North House Master J. Woodland Hastings, William Fitzsimmons, dean of admissions and financial aid, Registrar Georgine Herschbatch, Robin Jacoby, vice-president for college relations, and McKay professor of Computer Science Harry R. Lewis