David Duke Does 'Donahue'

Louisiana Gubernatorial Candidate Defends His Positions

By The ASSOCIATED Press

NEW YORK--Louisiana gubernatorial candidate David Duke faced a hostile studio audience on "Donahue" yesterday, justifying his views against interracial marriage by saying most Blacks agree with his position.

Phil Donahue said Duke appeared on the condition that photos of the former Ku Klux Klan leader dressed in the Klan's white robes not be broadcast.

Duke, 41, faces Democratic former Gov. Edwin Edwards, in a runoff election November 16. He gained notoriety as a Klan leader in the 1970s and neo-Nazi sympathizer in the 1980s, but says time has softened his racist views.

Duke Speech

Donahue read an excerpt from a past Duke speech in which he called Jews "a blight" who should "go into the ashcan of history."

"I daresay I've said intolerant things," Duke responded. "I'm sorry for those remarks. I don't believe in them today."

Most of the 150 people in the audience and a half-dozen callers booed him.

Duke said he wouldn't want his two daughters to marry outside their race or religion because, "I want to see the continuation of my heritage go on."

"I think most Black and white people in America believe that way," Duke said.

Today in Louisiana

The show is broadcast live in the New York area but most parts of the country, including Louisiana, will see it today.