Citystep Ball Is a Hot Ticket

Sell-Out Leaves Many Students Out in the Cold

By Karen E. Thomas

A shortage of tickets for the Citystep ball will leave many students all dressed up with no place to go this Saturday night.

The $13 tickets to Citystep's seventh annual fundraising dance went on sale at the Holyoke Center last Saturday. By 1:30 p.m. Monday, all 1000 tickets had been sold.

The ball has sold out for at least the last four years, said Elizabeth D. Kilmartin '94, a producer for Citystep.

Some of the students turned away this week said they were more than a little annoyed with the limited number of tickets.

"I was really pissed that I didn't get tickets, because I really wanted to go," said W. David Williams '95, who arrived at the ticket office late Monday afternoon.

"I think they should find a way to make more tickets available," Williams said.

But Satoko Kishi '92, one of the producers of the Citystep ball, said the number of tickets is limited due to Memorial Hall fire codes.

Most students appeared to be taking the situation in stride.

Josh E. Lehrer-Graiwer '95 said he was planning to go to dinner and the ball with a group of eight friends. But he was left empty-handed when his friends walked away with the last four tickets.

"I am not so disappointed that we can't go to the ball," said Lehrer-Graiwer. "I am disappointed that we had to break up the group."

"At first I was disturbed that we didn't get tickets," said Jafi A. Lipson '95, Lehrer-Graiwer's date for the evening. "But it was the guys' fault for not getting them early."

Lehrer-Graiwer said that instead of going to the dinner and the ball, the couple is just going to dinner.

Lipson said that while the compromise is "satisfactory," "it would have been nice to go to the ball."

Some students interviewed said that after the initial shock of learning they would not be able to attend the dance, they began put their disappointment into perspective.

"It's not so bad," said Navarra V. Rodriguez '93, who has attended the Citystep ball for the past two years.

"It would have been fun to go to the ball, but it's not a big deal if we just go to dinner," said Megan E. Lewis '95.