Frosh Await Lottery

Endure Annual Angst of Picking Houses

By Leah F. Pisar

Struggling with midterms, concentration decisions, and QRR deadlines, the Class of 1994 will soon undergo its next rite of passage.

By Wednesday, March 13, all 1600 rising sophomores must select and submit a list of their four favorite houses, as part of the annual housing lottery.

"A lot of people I know are having a hellish time," says David L. McMahon '94. "There are too many academic concerns to worry about housing right now. Perhaps if housing were a week earlier, things would be easier."

Most first-years, however, said that they do not feel too pressured by the housing deadline. The issue, they said, is not time, but the inherent difficulty in picking and choosing future roommates.

"I think the pressure is kind of emotional," says one Thayer Hall resident. "People end up hurting other people."

Even though the system of "non-ordered choice" is intended to diversify the houses, many say they are still paying careful attention to the houses's stereotypes as they make their decisions.

"Some people have strong opinions and that becomes a point of contention. But there is no need for stereotypes," the Thayer first-year said. "I am personally not putting down Eliot, and I say that having been there."

But there is also a strong desire to learn more specifics about the houses. The College has released a list of house activities, published a booklet entitled "Inside the Houses" and disseminated information in the "Yard Bulletin," according to Catherine M. Millett, a Harvard housing officer.

Still, Manuel Varela '94 says, "I'd like to get more information about the houses.