Hagelin Runs for President

Harvard Physics Ph.D. Tops Ticket for Natural Law Party

By Susan S. Shin, Contributing Reporter

John S. Hagelin, a Harvard-trained nuclear physicist from Iowa with no government experience, had never considered politics until five months ago.

But when he learned about the Natural Law Party--which aims to use scientifically-proven methods to solve the nation's problems--a presidential candidate was born.

"I decided it was time to step out of my ivory tower doing research and do something for the country," said Hagelin, 38, who received his Ph.D. from Harvard in 1981.

Founded five months ago, the Natural Law Party was recently awarded national party recognition. It joins several other minor groups on the presidential ballot, including the Libertarian, New Alliance and Socialist parties. But those parties are well-established, having fielded candidates in past elections.

According to Natural Law Party officials, petitions put Hagelin on the ballot in 30 states, including Massachusetts. The party is also fielding 100 Congressional candidates. It has fulfilled the requirements for receiving federal matching funds and has adopted a party platform.

Hagelin said he hopes to bring some common sense to the White House.

"I want to raise government above the murky realm of speculation, conjecture and broken promises and into the light of science," he said.

"We want to see the politics of the country transformed," said Howard M. Chandler '81, Hagelin's national ballot-access adviser. "In four years, we can change the trends of this country dramatically."

Chandler is also a Natural Law write-in candidate for Massachusetts' 8th District congressional seat.

According to Chandler, the Natural Law Party emphasizes non-partisan politics, seeking to use good ideas and programs regardless of the source.

The party's platform strives to cut taxes, andcalls for the use of renewable energy sources, agreater allocation of the budget to education, anda national health care plan based on preventivemedicine.

Hagelin said the party's solutions would savethe nation $1 trillion a year.

Hagelin and running-mate Mike Tompkins formallyaccepted the party's nomination at a nationalconvention in Washington, D.C. last week.

According to party literature, Tompkins, apolitical scientist, is a 1970 Harvard honorsgraduate. The Harvard Alumni Directory, however,contains no listing for him.

Together, Hagelin and Tompkins have beencampaigning nationwide. They have appeared onnational and local television and radio shows, andhave been featured twice on C-SPAN.

Like Texas billionaire Ross Perot, Hagelincites his political inexperience as an advantage.

"I'm not a career politician--people say that'sone of my greatest assets," Hagelin said. "I'm aconcerned citizen and a professional who is intouch with solutions that work."

"There is definitely a good chance that[Hagelin] could win," said Cynthia E. Johnson,chair of Massachusetts' Natural Law Party chapter."Anyone who is exposed to his message or hears himspeak says, 'Yes, this is the way to think.'"

Party officials said they could be satisfiedwithout winning next month's election.

"We would happily declare victory if Democratsor Republicans would endorse our ideas," Chandlersaid