BGLSA Members Meet To Address Bisexuality

By Olivia A. Radin, Contributing Reporter

Approximately 35 members of the Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Students Association (BGLSA) gathered yesterday in the Lowell Senior Common room to talk about issues related to bisexuality.

Participants in the workshop discussed definitions of bisexuality and attitudes toward bisexuals in both the gay and heterosexual communities.

"The issue of bisexuality is particularly interesting because it is questionable whether bisexuality fits with the gay and lesbian communities," said BGLSA Co-Vice Chair Rachel E. Cohen '94.

The workshop began with students introducing themselves and then reading anonymous written responses to "coming out" as bisexuals.

Students then took part in an open forum mediated by Robyn T. Ochs, a French department administrator who has taught courses on bisexuality at MIT and Tufts University.

Her courses were the second and third ever taught on the subject, Ochs said.

"My main goal is to help people understand how sexuality is constructed by studying a specific category," said Ochs, who added that she hopes to teach a fourth course next year at Tufts.