AIDS Dance-a-Thon Expected to Draw 2,000

By Monica D. Watkins, Contributing Reporter

Harvard undergraduates, graduate students and staff will be among the 2,000 kicking up their heels to raise money for AIDS education and services at a dance party in Boston on Saturday.

The dance-a-thon, sponsored by Boston's AIDS Action Committee, will raise more than $250,000 to support AIDS prevention through education and care, said Action Committee press assistant Elizabeth S. Mitrani.

Mitrani said that 344 teams are expected to participate in "Dancing in Time," up from 75 last year. "This project has snowballed," she said.

Harvard's Medical School and Graduate School of Education, as well as individual groups of undergraduates and staff members, will send teams to the annual event, held at the Hynes Convention Center.

Susan E. Hirshberg, captain of the Harvard Graduate School of Education dance team, said that Ed School students are participating "to foster an awareness of AIDS as educators."

"Prevention is education and we want to make an impact," Hirshberg said.

According to Joseph Tocio--who leads the Harvard Office for Technology and Trademark Licensing's dance team--the economic recession and inadequate government funding for AIDS prevention efforts have placed an increased burden on concerned citizens.

"Due to the economy and severe cuts in funding at the state and federal level, it is up to each individual to do his part," Tocio said.

Erik Wikstrom, who is coordinating a team from the Divinity School, said that the dance-a-thon "is a natu- ral thing for Divinity School students andfaculty to be involved in."

"It is a worthwhile cause and a chance to havefun," Wikstrom said.

The four-hour fundraiser will includecontinuous dancing on two floors, live music andtwo-step lessons