Tommy Reveals Reasons for Closing Down Shop

After 35 Years, Stefanian Was 'Just Plain Tuckered Out' of Serving Diner Fare

By Anna E. Arreola, Contributing Reporter

The CLOSED sign that greeted customers of Tommy's Lunch Monday left them with more than just empty stomachs.

The faithful also came away with a feeling of wistfulness--and with unanswered questions about the demise of the dogged yet unassuming diner that has served Harvard students for 35 years.

The greasy spoon restaurant on Mt. Auburn street closed its doors over Thanksgiving weekend without so much as a fare-thee-well from its curmudgeonly owner, but in an exclusive interview with The Crimson yesterday Tommy Stefanian revealed the motive for his abrupt departure.

Tommy was just plain tuckered out. Thirty-five years of serving up french fries, raspberry lime rickeys and brusque bon mots have exhausted him, Stefanian said.

Ever since Tommy's opened in February of 1958, it has been the fastfood stop, hang-out spot and romantic get-away of choice for generations of Harvardians.

The times they are a'changin', however, and in January a new eatery will move in. Tommy's Lunch will reopen as Tommy's House of Pizza on January 2.

But the new fare will at first seem unfamiliar--even alien--to regulars, and it just won't be the same without Tommy's with-it juke box and signature formica tables.

New owners Zaharias Mougros and Alex Bafras, former supervisors of the Needham House of Pizza, say they plan to bring in modern appliances and equipment, and a pizza delivery system.

In an uncharacteristically maudlin gesture, Stefanian yesterday expressed gratitude for 35 years of loyal customers. "I'd like to thank the Harvard students and employees," he said.

And he hinted that in the future he may haunt the booths of his late-night institution. "I'll come back and have a pizza," he told us. "This place is my home."