Lampoon Compers Interrupt Club Event

Students Deliver Poetry, Lewd Song

By Alec Permison, Contributing Reporter

Two Harvard students trying out for the Harvard Lampoon interrupted the Signet Society's Christmas Dinner Sunday night to recite verses of crude poetry and song before a gathering of more than 70.

A male student wearing a yellow robe entered the dining room of Upstairs at the Pudding, kneeled before the guest speaker who was addressing the group and read a "satiric, prurient limerick," according to Signet member Peter C. Nohrnberg '93.

The student then fled the premises.

According to Jennifer Rubell '93, president of the Signet Society, the "limerick" contained references to anal sex.

At the conclusion of the speaker's remarks, a second female student entered the dining hall, "sang a song about penises," and then left, according to Rubell.

The impromptu pranks coincided with "Phool'sWeek," an initiation period for students compingthe Lampoon.

Signet Secretary Peter D. Stepek '93 said themale student asked him whether he could read thepoem.

When Stepek told the student that a publicrecital would be inappropriate, the student beganaddressing guest speaker David Ross, Director ofthe Whitney Museum of American Art in Manhattan.

Ross said yesterday he believed the prank was"all in good spirit."

"It wasn't as funny as it could be...but itwasn't mean-spirited," he said.

The interruption was "taken in a verygood-humored fashion" by the audience, accordingto Nohrnberg.

Ross made a joke about the interruption andthen continued with his speech.

Walburg Professor of Economics emeritusJohn Kenneth Galbraith, who was at the banquet,said, "It all happened so fast I didn't noticeit."

Ross said that he hoped that no disciplinaryaction would be taken against the students.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said thathe was not aware of the incident.

But he added that it did not seem to fall underany category requiring disciplinary action.

Rubell said that the Signet Society would nottake any action against the students.

"It's great that Harvard has traditions likethe Lampoon," Rubell said. "We don't want to takeany action."

Matthew R. Grenby '92, president of theLampoon, refused to comment on the incident.

Rubell said that Grenby, a member of theSignet, had inquired about the time and place ofthe banquet before the incidents occurred.

The banquet lasted from 8 to 11 p.m., It is anannual event of the Signet which featuresChristmas caroling and remarks by student membersas well as a guest speaker