City Schools Face $3.6M Shortfall

By Gia Kim, Crimson Staff Writer

The Cambridge School Department faces a $3.6 million deficit for the 1993 fiscal year--approximately a million dollars less than original estimates, officials said last night.

Despite the reduced figure the multi-million dollar deficit will likely mean steep cutbacks in the school budget.

James Conry, executive director of management services for the city, announced the projected figure last night at a special joint meeting of the Cambridge City Council and the School Committee which was held at the library of Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School.

The projected deficit is $1 million less than the school committee's previous $4.6 million estimate.

Conry said the adjusted figure is a result of "tighter, more realistic estimates" in areas including pensions, employee health insurance and special education tuition.

In addition to the budget discussions, Cambridge School Superintendent Mary Lou McGrath presented a slide show titled "Cambridge Schools at aGlance" which was designed to inform the cityleaders of the school system's status in terms ofracial and socioeconomic balance, finance,educational programs and support services.

Several city officials said the purpose of thespecial meeting was to avoid last year's budgetproblems.

Larry Weinstein, co-chair of the SchoolCommittee, said the joint meeting would "minimizemisunderstanding and surprise on either side."

School Committee Member Alfred B. Fantini saida quick resolution to the budget problem isnecessary. He said last year budget debates lastedtoo long and "energies were diverted fromeducational pursuits."

"Administrators worked long hours and very hardin non-productive areas," he said.

Budget hearings will begin by the end of nextweek, according to City Manager Robert W. Healy.

Councillor Francis H. Duehay '55 said stateofficials should be held accountable for recentcuts in aid.

"Our state aid has been going down for the lastseveral years, and that deficit is not going to bemet by property taxes," he said. "We must developa better plan to work on the state."

Gov. William F. Weld' 66 recently lowered theamount of aid proposed in his educational reformplan from $200 million to $189 million