Council Lines Up Comedian

Contracts Stand-Up Jon Stewart for May 3 Performance

By Mark W. Brown, Crimson Staff Writer

The Undergraduate Council approved a contract last night to bring stand-up comic Jon Stewart to Harvard, the first council-sponsored big-name comedy event since Steven Wright performed here two year's ago.

Stewart, 28, has gained national recognition as the host of the popular cable show Short Attention Span Theater. He was the recipient of this year's Young Comedian's Award.

Council Chair David A. Aronberg '93 secured the agreement with Stewart in a phone conversation Wednesday night, just five days after Stewart's network television debut on Late Night With David Letterman.

The contract, which will bring Stewart to the Science Center on May 3, was approved only one week after the council suffered rejections from the comedy duo Penn & Teller and the English rock band Squeeze.

Interference from promoters was cited as the major reason the two deals fell through.

By making the arrangements directly with Stewart, Aronberg said he was able to come to terms with the comedian for one tenth the fee offered to Penn & Teller.

"He did not approach us. He doesn't work through an agent. We sought him out because we think he's on the verge of becoming the next big comic sensation," Aronberg said.

Aronberg originally drew up the contract to bring Stewart to Science Center C, capacity 350, for $1500. An amendment, proposed by Security Committee Co-Chair Jonathan K. Hsu '94, authorizes Aronberg to offer Stewart $2000 to perform in the 500-seat Science Center B.

The concert, which Aronberg said the council is budgeting for an expected $750 loss, will take place in the "malaise" of reading period, when Aronberg says undergraduates are most starved for comedy.

Aronberg predicts Stewart's intelligent brand of humor should wow a Harvard audience.

"He's funnier than Steven Wright and much cooler than Penn & Teller," Aronberg said. "I guarantee that everyone who goes to this show will become an instant Jon Stewart fan."

A Bad Record

In previous years, the council has come under fire for failing to secure a successful rock concert after losing tens of thousands of dollars from a Ziggy Marley concert and a Suzanne Vega concert three years ago.

Aronberg's election promise last fall was to make use of the council's $50,000 surplus to improve student services--including a large-scale spring concert from a big-name performer.

The council is under pressure now to organize a rock group to perform at the annual Spring Fling weekend which is scheduled for next month.