Leverett Responds to Theft

Stolen Master Keys Prompt Overhaul of Lock System

By Heather J. Haboush, Contributing Reporter

Leverett House will make a massive overhaul of its lock system this week due to the theft of four master keys, according to House Master John E. Dowling '57.

"With four sets of master keys stolen, we cannot feel secure without changing all of the room locks," said Dowling, who is Cabot professor of the natural sciences. "It was a decision that had to be taken."

Harvard University Police Department records state that the theft occurred last Saturday in the superintendent's office. In addition to the keys, a gym bag was reported stolen.

Dowling said that all 240 rooms in the house will have their front door locks replaced. He said he did not know how much the entire procedure would cost, but expected it to be "very expensive."

David A. Dalessio, an employee of Artery Lock Service in Medford, gave an estimated price for a comparable set of lock changes as $3600, at $15 per lock.

Though it may be costly, Leverett Superintendent Warren Nugent, said that the new lock system will be an improvement in terms of security.

"Safety is always a priority, and the system we're putting in now is a lot more secure," he said. "The new setup will be [such] that one master key willnot hit all of the rooms."

Nugent added that the old lock system wasalready in need of replacement.

"It was an old system that was starting torequire excess service," he said.

The replacement process should not take verylong, according to Nugent.

"The entire process should be completed byFriday," he said.

Some students said they were glad for theincreased security the new locks would provide.But for others, the lock change is merely aninconvenience.

"[Picking up new keys] is just another annoyingthing to take care of on a Wednesday afternoon,"said Joanna Dreifus '94