Three Named to Commission

Weld Appoints Harvard Affiliates to Asian-American Group

By Michelle K. Hoffman, Contributing Reporter

During a ceremony at his Beacon Hill office on Tuesday, Gov. William F. Weld '66 swore in three Harvard affiliates as members of the new Massachusetts Asian-American Commission.

Susan R. Weld '70, lecturer in Chinese history; Shaw G. Huang, director of the Harvard University Magnetic Resonance Laboratory; and Tai Van Ta, a research associate, will examine Asian-American affairs and make police recommendations to the governor as three of the 15 participants on the commission.

Weld, who is also professor of Chinese law at Boston College Law School, will chair the body.

Although no specific agenda has been established, Weld said yesterday in an interview with the Crimson that she expects the organization will help Asian Americans--especially those facing a language barrier--receive equal political attention and access to state services.

"People who are not [in the ] mainstream linguistically cannot get the attention they need," she said.

Communication

Huang said he feels the commission will make communication with the government easier for Asian-American communities.

"I'm not too sure if there are any other channels for Asian Americans to get in touch with [the government], "Huang said. "This will be a very important channel."

Weld, who selected the panel members with the assistance of the governor, her husband, said the creation of the commission is "actually very timely."

She said the recent Federal Civil Rights Commission report on Asian Americans disproved the claim that Asian-American communities have fewer social problems than other American communities.

"The problems are not so noticeable because many Asian American communities tend to keep their problems to themselves," she said.

Tai said he hopes the commission's work will have a positive effect on the relations between the United States and East Asian countries.

"It is foreign relations, in a sense," Tai said. "If those people from Asia are treated with respect under the law [in Massachusetts], they will run home to their country and tell their friends about the US and its legal system."

"If I can help in my small way, I will do it," Tai added.