Eating Club Reforms Offered

Harvard House System Influences Princeton Proposals

By Michelle K. Hoffman, Contributing Reporter

A Princeton University commission's report on undergraduate social life discusses changes that could alter the traditional balance between its residential college and eating club systems.

The report released in January, recommends examining the implementation of a four-year residential system which could reduce the significance of Princeton's eating clubs, where more than 75 percent of juniors and seniors take their meals, according to university officials.

Officials emphasized that the report was a discussion document only and mandates no immediate changes.

Princeton's residential college system provides meals for first and second-year students only. Although juniors and seniors may choose a separate meal plan in an upperclass dining hall, the 12 eating clubs--some of which are selective in admission--serve as both social centers and dining halls for most upperclass students.

"I think that the people who are closest to the eating clubs have some strong concerns about the future of those institutions," said Dean of Princeton College Nancy Weiss Malkiel.

Most observers maintain that the new proposal would decrease the importance of the eating clubs.

"If it were a black and white situation, everybody [affiliated with eating clubs] would say that they're opposed to it," said Michael Erdmann, chair of the Graduate Interclub Council, the umbrella organization for alumni of the eating clubs.

Although Malkiel said that any re- structuring of Princeton's residential systemwould not be modeled after Harvard, others allegedthat the proposal was strongly influenced byHarvard's house system.

Erdmann said the inclusion of many Harvardalumni on the committee may have been a part ofthe reason for the report's suggestion.

And Erdmann said that many of the committeemembers knew more about Harvard's house systemthan the eating clubs.

"I don't think that the people who wrote thereport know much about how the undergraduate clubsystem works," Erdmann said. "I think they're waybehind the times."

Erdmann emphasized that the academic life ofthe eating clubs was not necessarily inferior tothe tutorial system associated with Harvard'shouses.

"They're concerned that there's not that muchacademic activity," he said. "I'm not sure howmuch activity takes place in Harvard houses'social gatherings."

The report also outlines several suggestionsfor improving academic and social life in theeating clubs. An increased faculty-studentrelationship, more participation by minorities andadditional classes held in eating clubs arepossible changes that the clubs may deliberate,Erdmann said.

"I'm in favor of the four-year collegeresidential system," said Princeton senior JulietK. Eilperin, "because I feel it will decrease theinfluence of the eating clubs on campus."

The "institutionalized" elitism and selectiveatmosphere of the eating club system is a"divisive influence over a class," Eilperin said.

The Princeton junior is a member of the TerraceClub, one of seven clubs which admit by lotteryrather than specific selection. The other fiveclubs choose their future members after a seriesof social events or interviews.

"I've really benefited from a selective eatingclub," said Princeton senior Michael L. Huskins, amember of the Tiger Inn, which does not choose itsmembers by the lottery system. "But it's divisivebecause you're definitely isolated in your club."

The report was issued not because of immediateconcerns about, but as a tool to "promotediscussion and thought," said Assistant Dean ofStudents Sandy Silverman.

"I don't even know that there's a timetable forthis discussion," she said.

She and Malkiel stressed that the report merelyproposed an idea, and that changes are not yetbeing contemplated.

"We're not talking about the near-term," shesaid. "I think we're talking about preserving thestrengths of the eating clubs...and at the sametime extending the options [to undergraduates]that we make available