Bears Beat Laxmen at Brown 14-6

By Gordon P. Bellamy, Contributing Writer

What's the number for UHS?

If you have it, give it to the Harvard men's lacrosse team.

The crimson ran into a painful buzzsaw yesterday at Providence.

That buzzsaw was Brown All-American attacker Darren Lowe. Lowe repeatedly slashed through Harvard's defense, scoring five goals and three assists in Brown's 14-6 trouncing of Harvard.

The Bears attack triumvirate of Lowe Sam Jackson and Neil Munro combined for 11 goals.

Brown pounced on Crimson with a combination of speed, skill and physicality that Harvard hasn't seen all season.

"We had our hands full," said Crimson goalie Chris Miller. "They had the ball in our end for most of the game," Miller continued. Miller's solid play in net prevented a rout. Facing the brunt of Brown's 39 shots, Miller came up with 20 saves.

The Brown defense was bigger, stronger and faster than the Crimson offense. This proved a bad combination for Harvard, as Brown both repeatedly took the ball and beat the Crimson to ground balls.

Harvard's offense was led once again by hard-working the attack Mike Porter, scoring three goals against Brown goalie Christ Flynn.

After his six-goal performance against Adelphi, Porter is no longer a well-kept secret. The physical Brown defense keyed in on Porter giving him an extra push or stick-check whenever he touched the ball.

Freshman attack Jamie Ames also got his stick wet, netting two goals in past Flynn.

The Bears started the game with the four unanswered goals. Harvard finally broke into the scoring column in the middle of the second quarter on goals by Captain Paul Faust and Porter.

Brown answered back with four more goals, including the eventual game-winner by Brown middle Dave Luntz.

At halftime, with the score 8-2, Harvard Coach Scott Anderson tried to rally his troops the for a second-half assault on the Brown crease.

The Crimson came out fired up, but the Brown squad was simply too much for them. Harvard could manage only four second-half goals as the Bears coasted easily to victory.

This was an important victory for Brown, which needed to bounce back from two consecutive close losses to retain their top-15 national ranking.

This Saturday, the Crimson returns to Ohiri Field to face Princeton, another top 15- foe.

Harvard hopes to match up better against the patient, ball-control oriented Tigers.