Police Boost Security

Increase Watch on Hillel, Crimson

By Caralee E. Caplan, Contributing Reporter

Harvard police are increasing patrols near The Harvard Crimson and Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel in response to rising tensions on campus, Police Chief Paul E. Johnson said this week.

Johnson said growing media attention surrounding recent events involving campus minority groups and the two organizations have prompted University police to take security precautions. "We're paying particular attention to The Crimson and to Hillel. . . because of the atmosphere at the moment," Johnson said.

The Crimson has been criticized by several campus minority groups for editorials objecting to comments made by Harvard Foundation Director S. Allen Counter in a letter to the editor.

In addition, the Black Student Association (BSA) distributed flyers this week criticizing The Crimson's coverage of events involving minorities, which police sources said have added to the student unrest..

Sources inside the police department said there will be 24-hour coverage of the two buildings, particularly over this weekend.

Hillel Coordinating Council Chair Shai A. Held '94 claimed no prior knowledge of the security measures and expressed surprise over the decision. "I have no reason to think that this is needed," Held said.

Crimson President Julain E. Barnes '93 echoed the sentiment. "We did not ask for increased protection of the building," he said. "While we're pleased that the police are concerned, we do not think in any way that such protection is necessary."

But Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said that he felt the security may be warranted. "I don't have any information that it's necessary," he said. "I can't imagine that anyone would do anything against either organization, but it's always prudent."