CNN Correspondent Defends Stay in Iraq

By Adi Krause, Contributing Reporter

Cable News Network correspondent Peter Arnett defended his reporting of the Gulf War behind enemy lines in a speech that offered no apologies to the 300 people who gathered at the Kennedy School of Government last night.

"I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm not trying to make a point," said Arnett of his daring reporting style. "The only reason I was behind the enemy line is that is where fate has taken me."

Arnett, who acknowledged that his tactics have come under fire for providing Iraq with the capability of spreading its propaganda around the world, defended staying in Baghdad.

"Even under controlled coverage, live reporting is still valuable," he said. "I think I was able to respond to many of the questions Americans had."

Arnett, who was awarded a Pulitzer Prize in 1966 for his coverage of the Vietnam War, described his experiences as a journalist in enemy territory and spoke about the role of the media in a changing world.

The correspondent spoke of the strains and hardships he was subjected to as he was reporting from his Baghdad hotel, and thanked CNN for supporting his decision to stay.

"The messenger is always blamed," said Arnett, holding up a packet of letters which accused him of being a traitor and advised him to leave the U.S. "Being a war correspondent on the enemy side is not a way to advance one's career," he said.

Arnett did not deny that he was subjected to strict censorship and was used by Iraqi authorities, namely Saddam Hussein. "There was always an Iraqi at my elbow," he said, displaying censored news dispatches.

But he did not limit his criticism to the Iraqi authorities. Arnett said much of the blame lies with the American government, the public and even the press itself for tailoring theircoverage to popular demand.

"Are we going to let the government decide forus on what we should be reporting?" Arnett asked,rebuking President Bush for "muzzling the press."

"Words don't kill. We can't be frightened bywords and information," Arnett said in defense ofhis interview with Hussein. "His plea fell flat inthe world."

Nevertheless, Arnett said that he retains hisfaith in the media, especially with theopportunities presented by the end of the Cold Warto abandon traditional stereotypes of "us andthem."

"The world is a global village, and the mediais the voice of that village," he said. "We in themedia have no illusion about that role. We knowthat we have an enormous influence on what peoplethink."

Arnett's speech was sponsored by the NiemanFoundation, an organization which funds one yearstays at Harvard for mid-career journalists