Clinton Makes Sweep Of Primaries In N.Y., Wisconsin, Kansas

Tsongas, Brown Follow; Bush Defeats Buchanan

By Brian D. Ellison, Special to The Crimson

NEW YORK--Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton easily won yesterday's Democratic primary here, and former Massachusetts Sen. Paul E. Tsongas took second, despite dropping out of the race two weeks ago and not campaigning in the state.

Clinton also won primaries in Wisconsin and Kansas, and a nonbonding "beauty contest" in Minnesota.

With 99 percent of precincts reporting in New York, Clinton won 41 percent of the vote, while Tsongas won 29 percent. Former California Gop. Edmund G. Brown Jr. won 26 percent.

Tsongas' showing, which was far stronger than anticipated, coupled with Clinton's failure to amass a majority guarantees that Tsongas will think seriously about re-entering the race. He said last night that he would announce a decision by the end of the week.

President George Bush comfortably defeated challenger Patrick J. Buchanan in Republican primaries in Wisconsin, Kansas and Minnesota. There was no GOP primary in New York because Buchanan failed to qualify for the ballot.

Clinton said the Democratic results showed acall for unity in the party behind the idea ofchange.

"When the vote is in tonight, it will show thatAmericans want to be together again," Clintonsaid.

Brown, who had told voters to vote for Tsongasif they were not going to vote for him, concededdefeat to both his opponents and down-played thecompetition between Democrats.

"It's not about one person, one candidatetrying to reach the brass ring," Brown said. "It'sabout the people."

Brown promised he would stay in the race,despite his disappointing showing.

With 84 percent of precincts reporting inWisconsin, Clinton won 38 percent of the vote toBrown's 35 percent and Tsongas' 22 percent. InKansas, Clinton had 51 percent of vote, with theothers bunched far behind.

Bush won 100 percent of the vote in Kansas, 68percent in Minnesota and 77 percent in Wisconsin.The president is 142 delegates short of a lock onthe nomination.

Tsongas told reporters last night that he wouldcarefully consider the results with his advisersbefore deciding whether to jump back into thecampaign. He emphasized that he did not want toplay the role of "spoiler" because it might hurtthe party.

Earlier in the week, Tsongas aides said that ifClinton did not garner a majority and if Tsongaswon over 15 percent of the vote--both of whichhappened--then Tsongas would reopen his campaign.

Clinton spoke like a candidate well on his wayto the nomination, down-playing differencesbetween him and his opponents and saying that avote for one of his rivals was still "a vote forchange."

"Tonight, I ask you to reach out to those whodid not vote for me but voted for change." Clintonsaid. "We want to be their campaign, too."

Brown also avoided openly criticizing hisopponents, saying Clinton was "one heck of acompetitor, there's no doubt about it."

The candidates' niceties marked a sharp changein tone from the bruising campaign barbs tradedduring the past two weeks.

Voter apathy was high and turnout in New Yorkwas low, as expected. About one million votes werecast, far less than the 1.57 million cast fouryears ago. Part of the reason for the low turnoutmay be widespread voter dissatisfaction with thechoices available, as exit polls indicated. NBCreported that 66 percent of New York Democratssaid they wanted a new candidate to enter therace.

Despite the low turnout, Clinton said theelection marked "a turning point, not for BillClinton, but for the Democratic party and forAmerica."

Clinton, in his victory speech, quotedextensively from Robert F. Kennedy, and urgedcampaign supporters, as Kennedy did in his 1968campaign, to "say a prayer" for the nation and thecampaign.

"Say a prayer that we will have the strengthand the wisdom to stay our course," Clinton said.

Democratic Party Chair Ron Brown praised bothClinton and Tsongas in an appearance on ANN,calling New York a success for both.

Republican Chair Rich Bond, however, saw theNew York results as "a huge victory for PaulTsongas and a big setback for Bill Clinton." Bondcalled the election "a big win for thebroker-convention crowd," suggesting that othermajor Democrats like House Majority Leader RichardGerhardt of Missouri and New York Gov. Mario Cuomowere standing by, waiting to jump in the race.

Clinton picked up 162 delegates yesterday,giving him 1263 total, while Tsongas earned 100for a total of 575 and Brown won 99 for a total of265.GraphicNancy E. GreeneElection 1992