NAS Elects Six Harvard Profs

Five Other Scholars Elected to Institute of Medicine

By Maggie S. Tucker, Crimson Staff Writer

Six faculty members have been elected to the National Academy of Sciences, one of the highest honors a U.S. scientist can receive.

Five other faculty members were elected to the Institute of Medicine, an offshoot of the academy that recruits professionals to study public health policy.

And 12 Harvard scholars were elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences last month.

The new National Academy of Sciences members are Weld Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry James Anderson, Professor of Astronomy Margaret Geller, Lowell Professor of Sociology Stanley Lieberson, Professor of Biology Richard Losick, Professor of Medicine Stuart Schlossman and Ford Professor of the Social Sciences David Pilbeam.

Pilbeam, a citizen of England, was elected as a foreign associate. Geller was one of only a handful of women appointed to the academy.

The new members of the Institute of Medicine are: William Hsiao, professor of health systems economics; Stuart Orkin, Fikes professor of pediatric medicine; Ruth Sager, professor of cellular genetics emeritus; Clement Sledge, Brown professor of orthopedic surgery; and Nicholas Zervas, Higgins professor of neurosurgery.

The new members of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences are: Lea Professor of Medieval History Thomas N. Bisson; Ford Foundation Professor of Science and International Affairs Ashton B. Carter; Professor of Economics Claudia D. Goldin; Professor of Mathematics Benedict H. Gross; Professor of Astronomy Robert P. Kirshner; Professor of Medical Anthropology Arthur M. Kleinman;

Professor of Law Martha L. Minow; Professor of Surgery Emeritus Joseph E. Murray; Gurney Professor of English Literature Derek A. Pearsall; Professor or English and American Literature Elaine Scarry; Professor of Greek and Latin Charles P. Segal; and John A. Wood, in the Geology Department.