Officials Celebrate Seniors

By Wendy A. Gribb, Crimson Staff Writer

Members of the Class of '92 streamed into Memorial Church yesterday for the Commencement baccalaureate service, filling the pews and even the balcony floor.

Only seniors were permitted inside the building for the non-denominational service. Family members and friends sat outside in Tercentenary Theater, listening to the music and speeches over the sound system.

The Rev. Peter J. Gomes welcomed the seniors and gave a brief history of the service. The church choir then performed a song written for Harvard's 1793 Commencement Exercises.

Linda S. Wilson, president of Radcliffe college, delivered the first address, but not before requesting a round of applause for Harvard University President Neil L. Rudenstine, who is just completing his first year in office.

Wilson stressed the ever-changing nature of the modern world, and told students she was confident that Harvard and Radcliffe had pre- pared them to face it.

"We have every reason to expect that you willexperience many changes, transitions andtransformations as you move through the variousstages of your life," she said. "Be proud of thecompromises you make."

Rudenstine delivered the next speech, adding asudden air of levity to the service by removinghis mortarboard and dropping it unceremoniously ona ledge.

"I certainly can't talk with this hat on," hequipped.

He continued by offering his congratulations tohis first graduating class, saying "there has tobe some significance that both of us, especiallyme, have made it."

Rudenstine told the seniors, "You have been agreat tonic for me. You have wanted Harvard to doand be more than it could possibly be."

He offered several pieces of advice, including,"Try not to be dull,"

The president cautioned students to never losesight of their own identity through all of the"acting" they do in society.

"The dilemma of personal identity is one weface all the time," he said. "Do your best toavoid self-deception and posturing."

Rudenstine concluded by wishing the studentsthe grace of their loved ones. "You will need it,and you will do well," he said.

At the conclusion of the service, thegraduating seniors filed out to the sound of organmusic, greeted outside by a jostling throng ofcamera-wielding parents