Ruth Hibbard Romer Dies at 90; Brought Reforms to City Politics

Ruth Hibbard Romer, a founder of the Cambridge Civic Association (CCA) who helped reform the city's government in the early 1940s, died Saturday morning in a nursing home in Leeds, Mass. She was 90.

Romer, who was a long-time member of the Cambridge League of Women Voters, was one of the key activists involved in bringing Plan E government to Cambridge in 1941. Plan E created the proportional representation voting system and set up the current government structure, in which the city council shares power with the city manager.

Friends remembered Romer yesterday as a dedicated and effective city activist.

"She was a tireless fighter for good government, in addition to being a creative, intelligent, funny, hardworking person," said City Councillor Francis H. Duehay '55, who says Romer inspired him when he first en- tered city politics. "We will her."

Romer, who was born in Ithaca, N.Y., came toCambridge when her husband, the paleontologistAlfred S. Romer, joined Harvard's faculty in 1934.She frequently accompanied him on archaeologicaldigs to such place as Texas, Quebec and Argentina.

She was a graduate of the University ofMissouri, and also studied at the University ofChicago and Bryn Mawr. She worked for the IllinoisState Department of Labor as a statistician.

"She was a grand lady," said City CouncillorAlice K. Wolf. "She was really supportive of goodgovernment and the city of Cambridge."

Duehay praised Romer's concern for governmentin the city, calling her work for Plan E a"lasting legacy."

"[Because of Plan E], Cambridge is thought ofas being very well governed, with its powersharing and citizen participation," he said. "Shewas one of the key people in the Plan E movement."

Elaine M. Kistiakowsky, a friend who knew Romerthrough the CCA and the Cambridge League of WomenVoters, said Romer was characterized by her hardwork and her modesty.

"You would not know how important she wasunless you dragged it out of her," Kistiakowskysaid. "She was a quietly effective person whoaccomplished a great deal."

Romer leaves a daughter, two sons, a sister,seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Amemorial service will be held at 2 p.m. September11 in the First Parish (Unitarian) Church inHarvard Square