Law School's Wald to Step Down

Dean of Students to Become Special Assistant in Mass. Hall

By Laura M. Murray

Law School Dean of Students Sarah Wald will step down from her post on October 15 to become special assistant to two University vice presidents, according to a statement issued this week by Law School Dean Robert C. Clark.

Clark praised Wald's work at the Law School in the announcement, stating that in her five years there she had been a "wise counselor to hundreds of students" who "played a crucial role in helping the school deal with a vast range of complex issues."

In her new position, Wald will "help formulate ways of communicating to all parts of the Harvard community," said John H. Shattuck, vice president for government, community and public affairs.

Wald will convey information regarding academic planning, employment policies and the general direction the University is taking, Shattuck said.

Wald will also undertake a range of other responsibilities as an aide to Shattuck and Sally H. Zeckhauser, vice president for administration, he said.

Since he took office as in July 1991, President Neil L. Rudenstine has stressed the need for increased cooperation among the University's many departments.

Wald's newly created post represents part of an effort to enhance coordination of different departments as well as to cultivate a sense of community within the University, Wald said.

Wald said she is "excited" about the position, which she accepted in August.

"It seemed like a good opportunity to help the University," said Wald. "It seemed like an important mission."

Responded to Problems

As dean of students, Wald oversaw 87 student organizations, responded to individual students' problems and communicated Law School news and polices. For three years, she also taught courses in consumer protection law.

"I love the students and I'm really going to miss them," Wald said. "I always tried to be open and truthful with them.

Claudia Salomon, a second year student who co-chairs the Women's Law Association, said Wald's departure will be "a real loss to the students at the Law School."

"Wald was a real friend...She cared tremendously about the students," Salomon said.

"We always found her door open," said Marie-Louise Ramsdale, a third-year student who is president of the Law School Council. "We knew we could go to her with practically any problems we had."

Ramsdale, one of nine students who participated in a sit-in last spring to protest the Law School's minority hiring policies, said Wald served as an effective mediator between students and administrators during the protest.

During the open disciplinary hearings that followed, Wald tried to minimize stress for the students involved, arranging to have their final exams postponed, according to Ramsdale.

Wald said she saw no "easy answer" to the persisting controversy over minority hiring at the Law School, but expressed optimism that the issue would ultimately be resolved.

"I am convinced that a lot of the tensions last year left people feeling that they want to go about things in a more civil manner," she said. "There are positive signs that a sense of community is building and that people will be able to solve problems together."

Successors

Administrative Dean Sandra Coleman will chair a committee to find Wald's replacement, Clark wrote in his statement. In the meantime, Director of Student Services Suzanne Richardson will serve as acting dean of students.