Liem Revises Tutor Policy

Dunster Master, Students Confer

By Elie G. Kaunfer

In a sparsely attended meeting to alleviate tension about Dunster House's recent tutor conflict, Master Karel F. Liem announced some reforms in the tutor hiring process which had been suggested by students in the house.

One of the policy changes will allow the most vocal critic of Liem's handling of tensions in the house to remain. Under rules announced in September, which required Dunster alumni to wait five years before applying to be tutors, David Bear '92 would have lost his job.

The meeting, which attracted about 30 students and 12 tutors, was moderated by two members of the Harvard Negotiation Project.

Liem also said he would place himself on the pre-med advising committee which was at the center of complaints last spring. Students had said they feared that the committee co-chaired by Vincent W. Li '87 and his brother William W. Li '84 would be biased.

The meeting also brought to light new allegations that the Li brothers threatened tutors who last year charged Vincent Li with influencing Liem in hiring Li's brother, girlfriend and two longtime friends.

Vincent Li attended the meeting for about a half an hour last night. William Li did not attend the meeting.

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57, who attended the meeting, confirmed yesterday that some tutors have charged that the Li brothers made "personal threats" against them. One tutor said last night that the Li brothers said they would damage his career in retaliation for speaking against them.

Jewett also said he has heard "second-hand reports that some students felt harrassed and intimidated." He encouraged students to bring their concerns to him.

"The issues about harassment are being lookedinto in a formal way," Jewett said. "We willinvestigate to see if there was improperharassment that falls into the range of actionablebehavior."

Jewett said the allegations were different fromthe Li brothers' threats of a libel suit made in aletter sent to six tutors in September. He alsosaid the Li brothers had filed a complaint withthe police claiming harassment. Jewett did not saywhether the complaint was filed against studentsor tutors.

Liem said last night the Li brothers wouldissue a written apology and retraction to the sixtutors who received the letter. "Hopefully thatwill heal the wounds," he said.

But Liem took the blame for the increase intension in the house upon himself. "Theresponsibility lies with me," Liem said. "Iwas...not providing `masterly' leadership. Forthat I formally apologize."

Liem said he should have followed a three-hourmeeting last year with further discussion amongstudents. And he expressed regret that onenon-resident and two resident tutors have resignedover the controversy.

"I think that if I had these kinds of meetingsquickly and reacted faster...[the resignations]could have been prevented," Liem said.

Some Dunster students and tutors felt thatalthough it was "noble" of Liem to takeresponsibility, they were upset the Li brothersdid not take any of the blame publicly.

"I don't think some tutors should be let offjust because someone else is going to take thefall for them," one tutor said, followed byapplause.

Liem defended Vincent Li against charges ofimpropriety. "I believe that the charge ofnepotism was false. There was no wrongdoing.Miscommunication, but no wrongdoing," said Liem,adding that Vincet Li was "taken out of theprocess."

But Jewett said he could understand howstudents might perceive possible impropriety.Vincent Li attended his brother's student jobinterview last year.

"It clearly could appear to other people thatthere was a possibility of wrongdoing," Jewettsaid. "It could clearly be perceived as beingquestionable."

Jewett said there was no proof that Li intendedto influence the master to hire his brother.

Liem said he was qualified to be on thecommittee and added that Senior Tutor Mark Muellerwould also review recommendations before they aremailed to medical schools. "I am not going to be a`yes' man to Vince and Will," Liem said.

Not everyone was pleased with Liem's plans tojoin the pre-med committee. "I think that ingeneral Liem was receptive to meeting withstudents to change the tutor hiring process. Ihope this is one of the things he willreconsider," said Ted G. Rose '94, an organizerfor Dunster Students for Free Speech and a formerCrimson executive.

Liem said that Gerald S. Foster, director ofadmissions at the Harvard Medical School, willmeet with students next Thursday to discussconcerns about applications.

Liem also said he would allow tutors whograduated from Dunster House to apply for a tutorposition after four years, not five. He also saidthe rule would not affect tutors already in thehouse.

And although he originally ruled it out, Liemsaid he would be willing to consider a student'ssuggestion which would allow Dunster alumni toapply to be tutors after three years.

Liem explained the history of tutor hiring inDunster House, at the request of Dunster Studentsfor Free Expression. Liem said the processoriginally allowed for student interviews of manycandidates.

He said only one candidate was interviewed foreach position last year to keep pace with otherhouses who were hiring tutors faster.

Liem was receptive to student criticism of theupdated tutor hiring process printed in thisyear's facebook, and students applauded his25-minute speech.

He agreed with one student's suggestion that hemeet with residents to discuss additional changes,even though he said he could not promise immediateresults.

Jewett, who said he spoke to about 40 studentsand "a substantial number" of tutors about thecontroversy, remained after the meeting with Liemto answer student questions.

Liem said he was upset with the low turnout tolast night's meeting, adding that he planned tohave a similar meeting later in the semester.

Liem said a transcript of the meeting would bemade availible to students next week