Swatch Dealers, Wearers Get Time of Day at Charles Hotel

By Jeffrey N. Gell

What time is it?

For nearly 1,000 people this weekend, the answer was time for the Swatch Exchange, a convention held by Swatch Watch dealers and afficionados at the Charles Hotel.

The Exchange, the first ever of its kind on the East Coast, attracted Swatch collectors from around the world. Others in attendance included self-proclaimed symbol "Dr. Swatch"--a.k.a. actor Jim R. Meskimen of Los Angeles.

Sporting a white laboratory coat, a stethoscope in one pocket and a doctor's mirror across his forehead, Meskimen said he was on hand to heal broken Swatches.

Wolfgang B. Schneider, of W.B.S. Enterprises in Palm Springs, Cal., said he organized the convention so that "people would come to trade, sell, buy highly collectible items."

Standing behind a collection of brightly-colored watches, dials, watch bands and cases, dealer Justin T. Pinchot of Los Angeles discussed the basics of Swatch collecting.

"It is like baseball card collecting on a higher level," Pinchot said, "attracting lovers of art, pop, art, and pop culture. The biggest money is in vintage watches. Today I sold a watch for $800."

Swatch produces six different types of watches, including "music call" alarm swatches featuring music composed by Jean Michel Jarre. Swatches designed by artists Keith Haring and Kiki Picasso are the most valuable, selling for $10,000 to $60,000.

Dan J. Komar of Orlando, Fla. said at the show that he has the largest collection of Swatches in North America. Komar said he has over 2,000 pieces worth over $2 million, including seven Kiki Picasso watches.

Steven A. Grand, having just finished a business deal over his cellular phone, said his career as a Swatch dealer based in New York depends more on volume sales than on collectibles.

"Shows are a very small part of business," Grand said. "I'm here primarily to meet people. [Selling] new watches wholesale is the biggest part of my business."

And a local group of self-professed "Swatchaholics," the Boston Swatch Club, also put in an appearance at the watch-exchange convention this weekend.

"I woke up at 5:00 a.m. today and stood outside the Swatch store," said Jeff Bancroft, president of the club. "I purchased a vintage watch and three special packages."