Demonstrators Allege JFK Cover-up

Citizens for Informed Democracy Demand New Investigation

By Amanda C. Pustilnik, Special to the Crimson

BOSTON--Approximately 35 demonstrators gathered outside the JFK Federal Building at Government Center today to protest what they allege is a government cover-up of the assassination of John F. Kennedy '40.

The event was organized by Citizens for Informed Democracy, a group seeking a new investigation of Kennedy's death, the declassification of all documents relating to the assassination and a citizens' board to review the documents.

They have also been trying to raise public awareness about a potential cover-up by leading a teach-in last week at the Law School and by distributing black-and-white "free the files" buttons.

Although some protesters promulgated conspiracy theories, the focus of most of the speakers was the broader need to make the government accountable to the people through allowing public access to government files.

"[Kennedy's assassination] is important not only for its own sake, but [because] it shows the kind of government we are still living under," said Susan E. McLucas, who became interested in the Kennedy assassination after working with a citizens' group in Washington D.C., on the Iran-Contra affair.

"The same names kept coming up [in both investigations]," said McLucas, who also said she believes she was followed while hanging posters for the event.

Protester Brian Hart spoke of the need to question the government, citing recent articles in The New York Times revealing the participation of members of the CIA in drug trafficking.

"Use your own brains...Read books! Inform yourselves!" Hart exhorted the few standing by.

Hart and a few other demonstrators emphasized the facts of the case, from bullet trajectories to paraffin stains, as the reasons why they believe there has been a cover-up.

But most of the others--with the exception oftwo high school students from Norfolk,Mass.--originally began to consider conspiracybecause of their feelings when the president wasshot.

"I just felt it couldn't have been Oswald. Whena king is killed, it's always the palace guard whodid it," said Charles Boyle, an author who haswritten a play about Jack Ruby, the man who shotLee Harvey Oswald to death.

One woman, who carried a hand-lettered signreading "Coup de Tat," spoke of her love forKennedy and her feelings of hopelessness andabandonment after his death.

The protesters drew little notice from shoppersand business people in the area. Only a handfulstopped t