Aquawomen Hold 62-Point Lead in Harvard Tourney

By Y. TAREK Farouki

Both the Harvard men's and women's swimming teams must be happy with the first day of competition in the weekend-long Harvard Swimming Invitational at Blodgett Pool.

After's yesterday's races, the Crimson women held a commanding 62-point lead over Indiana, the next closest squad. Yale and Villanova finished yesterday's competition a close third and fourth while Syracuse brought up the rear in last place.

Although the Crimson men did not turn in the same type of dominating performance as their female counterparts, they did manage a close second place in the first day of races. Penn State leads the competition so far by a mere 24 points over Harvard and the other three teams, Villanova, Yale and Syracuse, lag behind the Crimson and the Nittany Lions by over 150 points.

The Crimson women built their imposing lead with a display of depth and speed in almost every competition yesterday. Harvard boasted a first or second place finish in each of the day's races except for one. The Crimson took first in the 200-yard freestyle and junior Deborah Kory won the 200-yard individual medley.

Sophomore Greta Steffenson placed second in the 500-yard freestyle while junior Valerie Gilson took fourth in the same race.

On the men's side, junior Jon Esway finished two seconds behind the winner of the 200-yard individual medley to take second place in that race while junior Dave Heilman placed second in the 50-yard freestyle.

The Crimson men's relay teams also did fairly well finishing second in the 200-yard freestyle relay and taking both second and third places in the 400-yard medley relay.

The competition continues all day today and all day tomorrow.