League Honors 10 Harvard Athletes

Winners Excel on Field and in Classroom

By Vivek Jain

The Ivy League announced yesterday the winners of this year's All-Ivy Academic Honors. Each of the eight Ivy League schools nominated 10 student-athletes, five men and five women, for the awards.

Harvard's nominees to the All-Ivy team were: seniors Amy Belisle, Meg Berte, Julie Caldwell, Jennifer Garcia, Joe Hiffa, Steve Kelts, and Jeff Zimmerman and juniors Meredith Fitzgerald, Mark Cote, and Nick DuBois.

All winners were either key starters or key reserves with cumulative grade point averages of 3.0 or above.

Berte, who was co-captain of the women's soccer team this season, was extremely pleased with the award. "It's definitely special," she said. "I think it's great that they are emphasizing sports and academics together."

Hiffa, a starting defensive lineman for the football team, was also pleased with the news. "It's a great honor because it shows that I didn't just work hard on the field--I worked hard off the field as well," Hiffa said.

Hiffa recorded a total of four sacks, 54 tackles, and one fumble recovery this season.

Another nominee to the All-Ivy team was field hockey co-captain Belisle, who was the team's second leading scorer this season, with four goals in 13 games. Women's Field Hockey Coach Sue Caples described Belisle as an "extremely hard worker."

Belisle tallied four goals this season, and was the team's second highest overall scorer.

"Amy has incredible mental toughness," Caples said. "She has persevered through adversity every year and this year she had a really tremendous season."

Men's water polo co-captain Zimmerman was named to the team for the second year in a row. "It was definitely a shocker to get it last year and it was an honor again this year," he said.

Zimmerman, like most successful student-athletes, works hard to balance his classwork with his games.

"It's hard, but it's almost easier during the season because I have to work every free second I get," he said.

Zimmerman scored an amazing 98 goals this season and was made an All-Ivy first team selection for his superior accomplishments.

Cote, the football team's starting halfback and leading rusher this season, was also nominated for the award. He gained 569 yards on 116 attempts this year and scored five touchdowns.

Cote also performed well on the receiving end, ranking second on the team in total yards receiving and average yards per reception.