Success for Netmen at Princeton

WEEKEND ROUNDUP

By Javier V. Garcia

The doubles team of sophomores and Umesha Wallooppillai defeated Rob Pholy and Adam Mandell of Yale 2-6, 6-3, 6-1 to win the doubles championships of the Princeton Invitational Tennis Tournament over the weekend.

Yaser Zastini of East Tennessee State downed Chet Crile of the University of Washington 7-5, 1-6, 6-1, 6-4 to takes the singles crown.

"I was really encouraged by what I saw at the tournament," Head Coach David Fish said. "It gave us a much clearer blueprint of what we have to do as a team to win the league title and gain as NCAA berth."

Even though a Harvard player was not able to win the singles division, two Harvard athletes fell in the third round to the eventual finalists.

Walloopillai fell to Crile 6-4, 6-3 in the round of eight, and junior Marshall Burroughs lost to eventual champion Zastini 6-0, 6-1 in the same round.

The men's team leaves for Kentucky today for a tournament date with #17 Tennessee and then with fourth-ranked Pepperdine.

"The important thing for this team is to build on what its doing well," Fish said. "We know what quality play is, but now they have to know they can do this."