Walsh Colleague Sentenced

Bedinger Fined, Given Probation for Defrauding Bank

By Alec Permison

A former Lawyer with the law firm of indicted City Councillor William H. Walsh was sentenced to 24 months probation and ordered to pay a restitution fine for one count of bank fraud yesterday.

Perry F. Bedinger, 49, pleaded guilty in June to the charge of fraudulently obtaining a loan of nearly $1 million from Winter Hill Federal Savings bank to purchase condominiums at the Old Colony Lane complex in Arlington.

Walsh--who was indicted on 59 counts of bank fraud last October for allegedly falsifying documents to obtain mortgages and finance his condominium ventures-- said he knew Bedinger as an independent contractor. Walsh called Bedinger "a very decent person."

In a tearful apology before the judge yesterday. Bedinger acknowledged that his actions violated the law but said he was corrupted by the professional environment in which he had worked.

Walsh Denies Connection

Walsh denied any connection between his trial and Bedinger and expressed no concern that Bedinger's sentencing would affect his own trial, which is scheduled for April.

"Perry's situation has absolutely nothing to do with me" he said.

If found guilty on all of the charges. Walsh could face 208 years in jail and $14.5 million in fines.

The government recommended leniency at Bedinger's sentencing based on his "completely truthful" cooperation in ongoing investigations of bank fraud as well as in two other investigation of fraud involving the same condominiums.

Nevertheless , the government counsel suggested a 14 month prison term for Bedinger to send "a very loud message that this sort of behavior simply will not be tolerated.

Bedinger's counsel argued against a prison term for his client. Oting his cooperation with the government. He said that Bedinger expects to continue his cooperation.

He added that Bedinger had made remarkable contribution" to his country Bedinger joined the army alter dropping out of high school and served two terms in Vietnam before receiving a General equivalency Degree and attending Harvard Law School, the attorney said.

Bedinger will serve his probation at home, and will be restricted from leaving except for job related activities. He will also be required to file financial statements with a probation officer.

Judge Robert Keaton stated that there will be right of appeal in the case.

"I think Judge Keaton was very fan." Bedinger said after the sentencing.