Ethnic Coalition Gains Momentum

Poll Evidences Student Support

By Anna E. Arreola

A majority of students support the demands made Friday by a coalition of minority groups, according to a Crimson poll conducted yesterday.

Thirty of the 40 students surveyed said they thought the "claims were reasonable." The demands, released in a flyer at a Junior Parents' Weekend forum Friday, asked for an investigation of "institutionalized racism" and a town meeting to discuss faculty and course diversity.

The survey included students of many ethnic groups as well as a number of white students.

About four-fifths of the students polled agreed that the administration has neglected to adequately address racial issues. .More than four-fifths said Thompson Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield should clarify or apologize for his statement that grade inflation resulted from professors unwillingness "to give a C to a Black."

"There were definite racial undertones [in Mansfield's statement]," said William H. Harris '94, who is Black. "He is implying that Blacks were not able to compete on a higher level."

But a few students defended Mansfield's right to free speech.

"I think people should be allowed to express their ideas even if their views conflict with what others want to believe is reality," said Ishir Bhan '96, a Weld Hall resident.

More than two-thirds of those surveyed criticized the lack of ethnic studies courses and faculty diversity."

"As a senior about to graduate, I feel really deprived not having had more of an opportunity to take classes by Latino professors or [classes] about Latino issues," said Israel Villanueva '93, who is Hispanic.

"I would have liked to learn more about my culture [at Harvard]. I don't know if I would send my own children here," Villanueva said. "It's ridiculous that a renowned university like Harvard cannot find the resources to diversify its courses.