Student Visits With Perot

Will Found Harvard Campus Chapter of United We Stand

By Anna E. Arreola

Former presidential candidate Ross Perot's next big venture may include Harvard, in the form of a student-run chapter of United We Stand America (UWSA).

Mark Goffman, a graduate at the Kennedy School of Government, was among the 10 students from different parts of the country invited by the Texas billionaire to an informal gathering in Dallas, last week.

Goffman said the students discussed current political issues, including efforts to build "a nationwide network of UWSA student chapters."

"No harm could happen in getting Republicans and Democrats to voice what they think is important," Goffman said. "Even if you don't support Perot, across America there is a movement [for change] that we need to acknowledge."

Perot, whose November bid for the presidency claimed nineteen percent of the popular vote, founded UWSA as a non-profit organization to challenge the present political situation.

In a press release, Goffman said the group will focus on education and activism. "[The goals are] to educate students on issues, the political process, government reform and UWSA," he wrote.

Goffman said he proposed that the UWSA chapters also sponsor a nation-wide student convention to discuss the budget deficit and campaign reform.

Goffman said he was invited to Dallas after contacting Ralph Perkins, a Perot representative, whom he met at a UWSA gathering in January. Goffman, a graduate of Emory University, said he supported Perot in the 1992 campaign.

After a brief meeting at UWSA headquarters, the students met with Perot to answer questions about their views on political issues, including the deficit, education costs, and student employment, Goffman said.

"Perot mentioned he was looking for college students to take on some of these major problems... and my role would be to help them get started," Goffman said.

The UWSA will provide interested students this summer with instructions for starting their own chapters.

Goffman said UWSA does not endorse political candidates but focuses instead on moving legislation ahead.

"Mr. Perot is not the king. UWSA chapters will work according to their interests on each campus, provided they adhere to the goals of the national organization," Goffman said.

Goffman said he will host a forum Thursday night for students interested in UWSA at 6 p.m. in Littauer Hall.