Demanding Attention

Lacrosse's Liz Berkery Instills Fear in Opponents

By Y. TAREK Farouki

Certain athletes demand attention. They require that opposing coaches and players know exactly where they are on the field or court or ice at all times.

They force opponents to develop complex defensive systems in what is often a futile attempt to contain their irresistible individual talent.

Michael Jordan immediately comes to mind. Wayne Gretzky. Ted Williams. Pele.

And then there is two-time All-American Harvard lacrosse player Liz Berkery.

Do opposing coaches really alter their strategy when she's on the field?

"Do I do anything special against Liz Berkery," laughs Maryland Head Coach Cindy Timchal. "You mean besides changing my entire defensive scheme and switching defenders constantly to try to stop her?"

Senior Liz Berkery has developed her offensive talents to the point of scientific postulation. The Law of Berkery: no matter what, she will score.

As certain as gravity. As sure as the setting sun. Berkery will find a way to get the ball into the other team's net.

This year alone, the Wellesley, Mass., native amassed 65 points and more amazingly, Berkery led her team in goals in 11 out of the Crimson's 16 games. The 1993 Ivy Player of the Year, she scored five goals in a game three times and four goals in a game five times this season.

"Clearly, Berkery is the best player in the country offensively," Timchal says. "She's used to being double and triple teamed."

And if by chance Berkery cannot get her deadly accurate shot off, she feeds her teammates with pin-point passes for easy goals. Berkery led her team this year with 17 assists, and her passing game has improved considerably over the years.

In fact, Berkery says she enjoys dishing off to an open teammate much more than actually scoring goals.

"I like a good pass a lot more than a good goal," she says.

Of course, with teams faceguarding her constantly and making sure that two or three players obstruct her path at all times, Berkery has been able to do a lot of damage passing as well as whipping the ball past goalies herself.

"She opens up much space because teams know they have to deal with her," junior Emily Buxton says. "She makes cuts, picks and passes so well that it's so easy for everyone else to score."

Berkery has been working her magic on the lacrosse field since her freshman year at Wellesley High School, but the three-time first team All-Ivy selection began her lacrosse days in the unlikely position of stopping shots instead of taking them.

"I actually started as a goalie," Berkery says. "They put me in net and I wasn't very good, but people seemed to hit me a lot so I stayed there for the year."

She moved to the field in her sophomore year of high school and hasn't looked back since.

Berkery has played for Harvard (incredibly, the only college that recruited her for lacrosse) since her freshman year, when the team defeated Maryland 8-7 for an NCAA crown, Berkery asserted herself as a precious freshman when she scored the tying goal to cap Harvard's amazing comeback.

Throughout the 1990 championship season, Berkery played beyond her years, scoring clutch after clutch goal. After the season Coach Carole Kleinfelder said, "Liz is a real gem. Being a freshman and having the poise to pull the goalie out and stuff the ball in is something special."

Berkery's special punchant for scoring led to career totals of 161 goals and 41 assists overall.

But it's easy to get lost in the jungle of numbers that Berkery has created in then four years of success on the lacrosse field.

This year, teammates say, as one of the Crimson's co-captains, Berkery showed how much that poise she displayed as a freshman is inherently a part of her character and makes her such an effective field general in lacrosse games.

"She's very positive on the field," Boston says. "If things aren't going well she'll bring everyone together and calm things down."

Berkery says she thrives on the leadership position she assumed this season.

"I felt good to be in a position to give other players the confidence they need," Berkery said. "Especially this year. We had a lot of young but really talented players that needed a boost to their confidence." sorts on the field.

"As a captain and a senior you kind of feel that it's your team," Berkery says. "My lacrosse experiences here have been by for the most important for me. The teams I've played on have always been so close."

Berkery's "maternal" instinct may be a product of her childhood which she spent as one of 10 children.

"Growing up with three older brothers was tough on me, but it's still so fun, I love it," She says. "My family has really given me a lot of support. I know there will always be funs at a game when my family is coming. It's been a blast."

Berkery also attributes some of the success she's had on the lacrosse field to playing the game with her siblings as a child.

"My brothers were really into [lacrosse]," Berkery says. "Switching hands is something that I took from playing with there so often."

Her teammates remain in save of Berkery's stick skills and say the Eliot senior has made one move especially unstoppable.

"It's a fake right and then a quick move to the left," Boston says. "She gets everyone with that move."

Recently, Berkery has been showing off that move and her entire repertoire of fakes, shots and passes at tryouts for the United States World Cup team that will compete in Scotland this year.CrimsinG. Bart KasowskiSenior LIZ BERKERY is double- teamed against Dartmouth. Berkery's offensive skills forced opposing coaches to devise special defenses to stop the All- American.