Hicks, Students Take Petition To Rudenstine

By Elizabeth J. Riemer

Calling for an end to allegedly discriminatory practices against Harvard's workers, a small group of Harvard students and workers yesterday delivered a petition to the office of President Neil L. Rudenstine asking for the reinstatement of a former cook at the Harvard Union dining hall.

A recently formed group calling itself the Student-Labor Coalition Against Discrimination collected the signatures for the petition, which they presented to Rudenstine's executive assistant.

The document, which was signed by 614 students, called for the University to "rehire" Darryl Hicks, a former cook and labor union shop steward who was fired in April by Harvard Dining Services Director Michael P. Berry.

Berry said Hicks was an unsatisfactory employee with a lengthy disciplinary history and a spotty attendance record.

But the firing came just three months after Hicks, who is Black, field a set of complaints with state and federal agencies alleging racial discrimination and on- the job harassment at Harvard Hicks has also charged Berry with firing him because of his vocal labor union activism.

Last week, the president of Hicks' labor union refused to pursue the case to arbitration. In an interview on Monday, the president, Domenic N. Bozzotto of Local 26 of the Hotel and Restaurant Employees Union, said Hicks does not have a case.

Hicks has said he intends to file a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board and may retain a private attorney.

The petition asserted that "Fair Harvard is Unfair to Labor," and petition organizers said the Hicks case is representative of a University wide problem of anti labor discrimination.

Although only ten supporters turned out for a tally held in the Yard yesterday afternoon before the petition was delivered supporters said they had broad support from Harvard students.

"I think [the number of signatures] demonstrates that there's a strong sentiment among the students that the kind of discriminative labor practices Harvard has subjected its workers to is wrong," said coalition member Alejandro F. Reuss '93.

"The treatment of Mr. Hicks was not exceptional but typical," added Reuss, who was one of the organizers of the petition drive.

The 10 union members, during hall workers and students who attended the brief rally walked together from the John Harvard statue to the door of Rudenstine's Mass Hall office. There Reuss and HDS shop stewards Edward B. Childs and Larry D. Williams made impromptu speeches and listed demands.

While speaking, Hicks supporters at first failed to notice Rudenstine walking by and pausing momentarily to stare at the group with a puzzled expression.

Once the group recognized Rudenstine and entered the office of his executive assistant to request a meeting, they were told the president was unavailable.

Participants in the rally distributed flyers yesterday advertising both yesterday's event and a protest planned to coincide with Commencement activities tomorrow afternoon.

Those planning the ongoing demonstrations said there are widespread problems for workers at Harvard.

"Every worker knows what a torture chamber [the Harvard Union] is to work in. It's a racist atmosphere." said Childs, who called Hicks "one of our most militant and aggressive stewards."

Williams, a former co-worker of Hicks, spoke of an unpleasant working environment and overly severe disciplinary actions for dining hall workers.

"Justice in this country has not been equal and fair," said Williams, who was suspended from work for three days last year for disciplinary reasons.

"I accepted my punishment, but it was too harsh," Williams said. "Maybe it was because I was a vocal Black man. Darryl's a Black man, so am I."

But Williams hesitated to attribute the actions taken against Hicks and himself as strict instances of racism. "I'll say maybe it was a case of management wanting to get rid of people who were outspoken," he said.

Shop steward Mary A. Quinlan, who works in the Cabot House dining hall, said that even the labor union may have been motivated by a resistance to particularly "outspoken" employees.

"I can't help but wonder if the union leadership wasn't as happy that Darryl was no longer around to make waves as Harvard was glad," Quinlan said.

Childs said the Hicks case is a concern for all unionized employees at Harvard. "We know that if Darryl goes and we don't fight, we're all gone," he said