Pangloss Closes Shop Due to 'Toxic Air'

By Anne M. Stiles

"Toxic air" causing dizziness and nausea has forced the temporary closure of Pangloss Bocks, its owners say.

But University officials say they have found no such problems in the Harvard-owned building, and are refusing to allow the business to terminate its lease and move to a new location.

The proprietors of the Mt. Auburn Street bookstore said they have been complaining about air quality since September of 1993. They closed the store two weeks ago because of the problem, they said.

Co-owners Ken Rosenberg and Paulette Bradstreet said they have suffered "very serious physical symptoms--severe headaches, nausea, memory loss, and dizziness" whenever they worked at the store.

Only opening door and windows for fresh air provided relief, Rosenberg and Bradstreet said.

"There were days when we had to choose between snow blowing in through the door and no air to breathe," Rosenberg said.

There have also been problems with a downdraft from the chimney, Bradstreet said.

"On frequent occasions our store would fill with smoke," she said.

Harvard Real Estate representatives have tried to fix the fireplace, the owners said, but only after many complaints.

"Harvard Real Estate has tried to remedy the fireplace situation, but that has remained unresolved also," Bradstreet said. "The attempts [to remedy the situation] were only made after we complained bitterly."

But University spokesperson Joe Wrinn said Harvard has not found the problems the proprietors allege.

"It's my understanding that Harvard's Environmental Health and Safety office and a third-party private company both agree that there are no health problems," he said. "Harvard doesn't know the reason that they would want to move."

The store's lease is currently under legal negotiations, Wrinn said.

"Whether or not Pangloss can relocate is a matter lawyers are discussing now," Wrinn said.

Pangloss, which offers rare and out-of-print books unavailable elsewhere, has been a Square fixture since 1957.

"Pangloss is one of the few remaining stores of its sort in the world," Bradstreet said. The shop had been featured in the London Times as one of the best bookstores of its kind, she said.

"We're sort of a dying breed," Bradstreet said of her store. "We hope to still be here for everyone's sake."

Bradstreet said bookstore employees are still taking phone calls and maintaining a list of customer requests.

But the store's owners said if they can't relocate, Pangloss could close. It would be the latest in a series of closures of Harvard Square bookstores.

"The saddest part of the problem is if we can't open up again some where else and be a good bookstore, Rosenberg said